|Tipitaka Network: An Elementary Pali Course||Velthuis|
An Elementary Paa.li Course
A. Demonstrative Pronouns
In Paa.li, adjectives are inflectional and they agree with the substantives they qualify in gender, number and case. Generally they are placed before the noun.
Adjectives ending in a are declined in the masculine, feminine, and neuter like nara, ka~n~naa, and phala respectively. Sometimes in the feminine they are declined like naarii.
Some adjectives may be formed by adding vantu to nouns ending in a and aa, and mantu to nouns ending in i and u.
These adjectives are declined like pacanta with the exception of the Nominative singular; e.g.,
Translate into English.1. Kim'ida.m?
2. Kassa imaani?
3. Iminaa te ki.m payojana.m?
4. Ida.m mayha.m hotu.
5. Ko naama aya.m puriso?
6. Aya.m me maatulaanii hoti.
7. Ida.m mayaa kattabba.m.
8. Sabba.m ida.m asukena kata.m.
9. Aya.m saami ca.n.do na hoti.
10. Aya.m me antimaa jaati.
11. Aya.m seto asso khippa.m na dhaavati.
12. Gu.navantehi ime gilaanaa sa`nga.nhitabbaa.
13. "Yathaa ida.m tathaa eta.m - yathaa eta.m tathaa ida.m."
14. "Ida.m vo ~naatiina.m hotu - sukhitaa hontu ~naatayo!"
15. "Tva.m etasmi.m pabbate vasa, aha.m imasmi.m pabbate vasissaami."
16. "Namo tassa Bhagavato, arahato sammaa-sambuddhassa."
17. Asmi.m loke ca paramhi ca gu.navantaa sukhena vasanti.
18. Asukaaya naama visikhaaya asukasmi.m ghare aya.m taru.no vejjo vasati.
19. Imehi pupphehi Buddha.m puujetha.
20. Maya.m imasmi.m aaraame mahantaani rukkhaani passaama.
21. Imassa gilaanassa u.nha.m udaka.m daatabba.m.
22. Janako ucce aasane nisiidi, putto niice aasane nisiidi.
23. Imesu pupphesu setaani ca rattaani ca piitaani ca pupphaani gahetvaa gacchaahi.
24. Imaani khuddakaani phalaani maya.m na ki.naama.
25. Iminaa diighena maggena ete gamissanti.
Translate into Paa.li.1. Who is this boy?
2. This is my book.
3. Who are these men?
4. He is living in this house.
5. This was done by me.
6. There is such a young doctor in this street.
7. Cold water should not be drunk by the sick.
8. He is the last boy in the school.
9. Did you see him sitting on this high seat?
10. Take these long sticks and throw into the fire.
11. May all these beings be happy!
12. I like to mount this white horse.
13. Bring those small books and give to these boys.
14. You should wash your face with this hot water.
15. These Exalted Ones understood the middle Path of the Buddha.
16. This Doctrine was preached by the Blessed One.
17. We shall go by this long way.
18. There are tall, big trees in this forest.
19. I shall take these white flowers; you may take those red flowers.
20. These are small ships.
21. Young men and women should always associate with the virtuous.
22. This city is protected by a powerful king.
23. The courageous do not run away through fear.
24. Little children are playing with these little dogs.
25. May the Blessed One preach the Doctrine to these monks and nuns!
* Suggested Solutions
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammāsambuddhassa.
Buddha sāsana.m cira.m ti.t.thatu.