Pali Primer Exercise 9
Translate into English
1. Upaasako vihaara.m gantvaa sama.naana.m daana.m dadaati.
lay devotee / [to] monastery / having gone / to monks / alms / gives
The lay devotee, having gone to the monastery, gives alms to monks.
2. Saavako aasanamhi nisiiditvaa paade dhovati.
disciple / on seat / having seated / feet / washes
The disciple, having seated on the seat, washes (his) feet.
3. Daarakaa pupphaani sa.mharitvaa maatulassa datvaa hasanti.
children / flowers / having collected / to uncle / having given / laugh
Children, having collected flowers, give (them) to the uncle and laugh.
4. Yaacakaa uyyaanamhaa aagamma kassakasmaa odana.m yaacanti.
beggars / from park / having come / from farmer / rice / beg
The beggars, having come from the park, beg rice from the farmer.
5. Luddako hatthena sare aadaaya ara˝˝a.m pavisati.
hunter / [in] hand / arrows / having taken / forest / enters
The hunter, having taken arrows in his hand, enters the forest.
6. Kumaaraa kukkurena saddhi.m kii.litvaa samudda.m gantvaa nahaayanti.
boys / with dog / having played / [to] sea / having gone / bathe
Having played with the dog, the boys go to the sea and bathe.
7. Vaa.nijo paasaa.nasmi.m .thatvaa kuddaalena sappa.m paharati.
merchant / on rock / having stood / with hoe / serpent / hits
Standing on the rock, the merchant hits the serpent with a hoe.
8. Sappuriso yaacakassa putte pakkositvaa vatthaani dadaati.
virtuous man / beggar's / sons / having summoned / clothes / gives
Having summoned the beggar's sons, the virtuous man gives (them) clothes.
9. Daarako aavaa.tamhi patitvaa rodati.
child / into pit / having fallen / cries
Having fallen into the pit, the child cries.
10. Bhuupaalo paasaadamhaa nikkhamitvaa amaccena saddhi.m bhaasati.
king / from palace / having left / with minister / speaks
Having left the palace, the king speaks with the minister.
11. Sunakho udaka.m pivitvaa gehamhaa nikkhamma magge sayati.
dog / water / having drunk / from house / having left / on road / sleeps
The dog sleeps on the road, having drunk water and left the house.
12. Sama.naa bhuupaalassa uyyaane sannipatitvaa dhamma.m bhaasanti.
monks / king's / in park / having assembled / dhamma / speak
The monks speak the dhamma, having assembled in the king's park.
13. Putto nahaatvaa bhatta.m bhutvaa ma˝ca.m aaruyha sayati.
son / having bathed / rice / having eaten / bed / having climbed / sleeps
The son climbs the bed and sleeps, having bathed and eaten rice.
14. Vaa.nijaa diipamhaa nagara.m aagamma aacariyassa gehe vasanti.
merchants / from island / [to] city / having come / teacher's / in house / live
Having come from the island to the city, the merchants live in the teacher's house.
From the island, the merchants come to the city and live in the teacher's house.
15. Rajako vatthaani dhovitvaa putta.m pakkosati.
washerman / clothes / having washed / son / calls
The washerman calls (his) son, having washed the clothes.
16. Vaanaraa rukkhehi oruyha uyyaane aahi.n.danti.
monkeys / from trees / having descended / in park / roam
The monkeys get down from the trees and roam in the park.
17. Migaa vanamhi aahi.n.ditvaa pa.n.naani khaadanti.
deer / in forest / having roamed / leaves / eat
Deer roam in the forest and eat leaves.
18. Kumaaro nayanaani dhovitvaa suriya.m passati.
boy / eyes / having washed / sun / sees
The boy, having washed (his) eyes, sees the sun.
19. Naavikassa mittaa nagarasmaa bha.n.daani aadaaya gaama.m aagacchanti.
sailor's / friends / from city / goods / having taken / [to] village / come
The sailor's friends take the goods from the city and come to the village.
20. Daarako khiira.m pivitvaa gehamhaa nikkhamma hasati.
child / milk / having drunk / from house / having left / laughs
After drinking milk, the child goes out of the house and laughs.
21. Sappurisaa daanaani datvaa siilaani rakkhitvaa sagga.m gacchanti.
virtuous men / alms / having given / precepts / having observed / heaven / go
Giving alms and observing precepts, virtuous men go to heaven.
22. Suukaro udakamhaa uttaritvaa aavaa.ta.m oruyha sayati.
pig / from water / having come out / pit / havind descended / sleeps
Coming out of the water, the pig gets down to the pit and sleeps.
23. Taapaso Tathaagatassa saavaka.m disvaa vanditvaa pa˝ha.m pucchati.
hermit / Buddha's / disciple / having seen / having paid respect / question / asks
The hermit, having seen the Buddha's disciple, pays homage and asks (a) question.
24. Asappuriso yaacakassa patta.m bhinditvaa akkositvaa geha.m gacchati.
wicked man / beggar's / bowl / having broken / having scolded / house / goes
Having broken the beggar's bowl, the wicked man scolds (him) and goes to the house.
25. Saku.naa gaame rukkhehi uppatitvaa ara˝˝a.m otaranti.
birds / in village / from trees / having flown / forest / descend
Birds fly from the trees in the village and descend into the forest.
26. Pa.n.dito aasanamhaa u.t.thahitvaa taapasena saddhi.m bhaasati.
wise man / from seat / having got up / with hermit / speaks
The wise man gets up from (his) seat and speaks with the hermit.
27. Daarako gehaa nikkhamma maatula.m pakkositvaa geha.m pavisati.
child / from house / having left / uncle / having called / house / enters
Having left the house, the child calls the uncle and enters the house.
28. Devaa sappurisesu pasiiditvaa te (them) rakkhanti.
gods / with virtuous men / are pleased / them / protect
The gods are pleased with virtuous men and protect them.
29. Kumaarassa sahaayakaa paasaada.m aaruyha aasanesu nisiidanti.
boy's / friends / palace / having climbed / on seats / sit
The boy's friends ascend to the palace and sit on the seats.
30. Go.naa khettamhi aahi.n.ditvaa ti.na.m khaaditvaa sayanti.
oxen / in field / having roamed / grass / having eaten / sleep
Oxen, having roamed in the field and eaten grass, sleep.
Translate into Pali
1. Having gone out of the house the farmer enters the field.
nikkhamma / gehamhaa / kassako / khetta.m / pavisati
Kassako gehamhaa nikkhamma khetta.m pavisati.
2. Having preached (deseti) the doctrine, the Buddha enters the monastery.
desetvaa / dhamma.m / Buddho / pavisati / vihara.m
Buddho dhamma.m desetvaa vihara.m pavisati.
3. The king have been pleased with the Buddha, abandons the palace and goes to the monastery.
bhuupaalo / pasiiditvaa / Buddhe / pajahitvaa / paasaada.m / gacchati / vihara.m
Bhuupaalo Buddhe pasiiditvaa paasaada.m pajahitvaa vihara.m gacchati.
4. Having climbed down from the stairway, the child laughs.
oruyha / sopaanasmaa / daarako / hasati
Daarako sopaanasmaa oruyha hasati.
5. Having hit the serpent with a stone the boy runs into the house.
paharitvaa / sappa.m / paasaa.nena / kumaaro / dhaavati / geha.m
Kumaaro paasaa.nena sappa.m paharitvaa geha.m dhaavati.
6. Having gone to the forest the man climbs a tree and eats fruits.
gantvaa / ara˝˝a.m / manusso / aaruyha / rukkha.m / khaadati / phalaani
Manusso ara˝˝a.m gantvaa rukkha.m aaruyha phalaani khaadati.
7. Having washed the clothes in the water, the washerman brings (them) home.
dhovitvaa / vatthaani / udakena / rajako / aaharati / taani / geha.m
Udakena vatthaani dhovitvaa rajako (taani) geha.m aaharati.
8. The lion having killed a goat, eats having sat on a rock.
siiho / hantvaa / aja.m / khaadati / nisiiditvaa / paasaa.ne
Siiho aja.m hantvaa paasaa.ne nisiiditvaa khaadati.
9. The doctor having seen the merchants' goods leaves the city.
vejjo / disvaa / vaa.nijaana.m / bha.n.daani / nikkhamati / nagaramhaa
Vejjo vaa.nijaana.m bha.n.daani disvaa nagaramhaa nikkhamati.
10. Having broken (into) the house thieves run to the forest.
bhinditvaa / geha.m / coraa / dhaavanti / ara˝˝a.m
Geha.m bhinditvaa coraa ara˝˝a.m dhaavanti.
11. Having roamed in the field the pig falls into a pit.
aahi.n.ditvaa / khettasmi.m / varaaho / patati / aavaa.te
Varaaho khettasmi.m aahi.n.ditvaa aavaa.te patati.
12. The fisherman brings fish from the sea for farmers.
dhiivaro / aaharati / macche / samuddamhaa / kassakaana.m
Dhiivaro kassakaana.m samuddamhaa macche aaharati.
13. Having taken goods from the city, the teacher comes home.
aadaaya / bha.n.daani / nagarasmaa / aacariyo / aagacchati / geha.m
Aacariyo nagarasmaa bha.n.daani aadaaya geha.m aagacchati.
14. Having stood on a mountain, the hunter shoots birds with arrows.
.thatvaa / pabbatasmi.m / luddako / vijjhati / saku.ne / sarehi
Luddako pabbatasmi.m .thatvaa sarehi saku.ne vijjhati.
15. The oxen having eaten grass in the park, sleep on the road.
go.naa / khaaditvaa / ti.na.m / uyyaanamhi / sayanti / magge
Go.naa uyyaanamhi ti.na.m khaaditvaa magge sayanti.
16. The king having got down from the chariot speaks with the farmers.
bhuupaalo / oruyha / rathamhaa / bhaasati / kassakehi saha
Bhuupaalo rathamhaa oruyha kassakehi saha bhaasati.
17. The man having given up his house enters the monastery.
manusso / pahaaya / geha.m / pavisati / vihaara.m
Manusso geha.m pahaaya vihaara.m pavisati.
18. Fishermen give fish to merchants and receive profits.
dhiivaraa / datvaa / macche / vaa.nijaana.m / labhanti / laabha.m
Dhiivaraa vaa.nijaana.m macche datvaa laabha.m labhanti.
19. The lay devotee having asked a question from the monk sits on his seat.
upaasako / pucchitvaa / pa˝ha.m / sama.nasmaa / nisiidati / aasanamhi
Upaasako sama.nasmaa pa˝ha.m pucchitvaa aasanamhi nisiidati.
20. The disciples of the Buddha, having seen the wicked men, admonish.
saavakaa / Buddhassa / disvaa / asappurise / anusaasanti
Buddhassa saavakaa asappurise disvaa anusaasanti.
21. The brahmin, having scolded the child, hits (him).
braahma.no / akkositvaa / daaraka.m / paharati
Braahma.no daaraka.m akkositvaa paharati.
22. The deities, having asked questions from the Buddha, become glad.
devaa / pucchitvaa / pa˝he / Buddhamhaa / pasiidanti
Devaa Buddhamhaa pa˝he pucchitvaa pasiidanti.
23. The dog, having bitten the teacher's foot, runs into the house.
kukkuro / .dasitvaa / aacariyassa / paada.m / dhaavati / geha.m
Kukkuro aacariyassa paada.m .dasitvaa geha.m dhaavati.
24. The monkey, having played with the goat on the road, climbs a tree.
vaanaro / kiilitvaa / ajena saddhi.m / magge / aaruhati / rukkha.m
Vaanaro magge ajena saddhi.m kiilitvaa rukkha.m aaruhati.
25. The hermit, having come from the forest, receives a cloth from the good man.
taapaso / aagamma / ara˝˝asmaa / labhati / vattha.m / sappurisamhaa
Taapaso ara˝˝asmaa aagamma sappurisamhaa vattha.m labhati.
26. Having drunk water, the child breaks the bowl.
pivitvaa / udaka.m / daarako / bhindati / patta.m
Daarako udaka.m pivitvaa patta.m bhindati.
27. Having advised the farmers' sons, and having risen from the seats, the monks go to the monastery.
ovaditvaa / kassakaana.m / putte / u.t.thahitvaa / aasanehi / sama.naa / gacchanti / vihaara.m
Sama.naa kassakaana.m putte ovaditvaa aasanehi u.t.thahitvaa vihaara.m
28. The sailor, having crossed the sea, goes to the island.
naaviko / taritvaa / samudda.m / gacchati / diipa.m
Naaviko samudda.m taritvaa diipa.m gacchati.
29. The child calls the uncles and dances in the house.
daarako / pakkositvaa / maatule / naccati / gehamhi
Daarako maatule pakkositvaa gehamhi naccati.
30. Having washed clothes and bathed, the farmer gets out of water.
dhovitvaa / vatthaani / nahaatvaa / kassako / uttarati / udakasmaa
Kassako vatthaani dhovitvaa nahaatvaa udakasmaa uttarati.