Pali Primer Exercise 15
Translate into English
1. Sace tva.m dhamma.m su.neyyaasi, addhaa (certainly) tva.m Buddhassa saavako
if / you / dhamma / would hear / certainly / you / Buddha's / disciple / would become
If you would hear the dhamma, you would certainly become the Buddha's disciple.
2. Yadi te giitaani gaayitu.m ugga.nheyyu.m, aha.m pi ugga.nheyyaami.
if / they / songs / to sing / would learn / I / too / would learn
If they would learn to sing the songs, I would learn too.
3. Sace tva.m biijaani pahi.neyyaasi, kassako taani (them) khette vapeyya.
if / you / seeds / would send / farmer / them / in field / would sow
If you would send the seeds, the farmer would sow them in the field.
4. Sace tumhe padumaani ocineyyaatha, kumaaraa taani Buddhassa puujeyyu.m.
if / you / lotuses / would pick / boys / them / [to] Buddha / would offer
If you would pick the lotuses, the boys would offer them to the Buddha.
5. Sace tva.m muula.m ga.nheyyaasi, aha.m dussa.m aadadeyyaami.
if / you / money / would take / I / cloth / would take
If you would take the money, I would take the cloth.
6. Yadi maya.m bhuupaalena saha manteyyaama amaccaa na aagaccheyyu.m.
if / we / with king / would discuss / minister / not / would come
If we discuss with the king, the ministers would not come.
7. Sace tumhe rukkhe ropeyyaatha daarakaa phalaani bhuñjeyyu.m.
if / you / trees / would place / children / fruits / would enjoy
If you would plant the trees, the children would enjoy the fruits.
8. Sace maya.m sappurisaa bhaveyyaama, puttaa pi sappurisaa bhaveyyu.m.
if / we / good men / would become / sons / too / good men / would become
If we become good men, (our) sons would become good men too.
9. Sace bhuupaalaa dhammena diipe paaleyyu.m, maya.m bhuupaalesu
if / kings / righteously / islands / would rule / we / with kings / would be pleased
If the kings rule the islands righteously, we would be pleased with them.
10. Sace kassako go.na.m vikki.neyya, vaa.nijo ta.m ki.neyya.
if / farmer / ox / would sell / merchant / it / would buy
If the farmer would sell the ox, the merchant would buy it.
11. Sace manusse pii.lentaa asappurisaa gaama.m aagaccheyyu.m aha.m te ovadeyyaami.
if / people / oppressing / wicked men / [to] village / would come / I / them / would admonish
If the wicked men oppressing the people come to the village, I would admonish them.
12. Yadi amaccaa paapa.m parivajeyyu.m, manussaa paapa.m na kareyyu.m.
if / ministers / evil / would avoid / people / evil / not / would commit
If ministers avoid evil, the people would not commit evil.
13. Sace tumhe pabbata.m aaruheyyaatha, aahi.n.dante mige ca rukkhesu carante makka.te ca u.d.dente saku.ne ca
if / you / mountain / would climb / roaming / deer / and / on trees / moving / monkeys / and / flying / birds / and / would see
If you climb the mountain, you would see deer roaming, monkeys moving on the trees and birds flying.
14. Sace tva.m pattena paaniiya.m aaneyyaasi pipaasito (thirsty) so
if / you / in bowl / drinking water / would bring / thirsty / he / would drink
If you would bring drinking water in a bowl, he who is thirsty would drink (it).
15. Kusalakammaani katvaa tumhe manussaloke uppajitu.m ussaheyyaatha.
good deeds / having done / you / in human world / to be born / should try
Having done good deeds, you should try to be born in the human world.
16. Sace so vejjo bhaveyya, aha.m ta.m (him) rodanta.m daaraka.m passitu.m
if / he / doctor / is / I / him / crying / child / to see / would bring
If he is a doctor, I will bring him to see the crying child.
17. Yadi putto paapa.m kareyya aha.m ta.m (him) ovadeyyaami.
if / son / evil / would do / I / him / would admonish
If my son does evil, I would admonish him.
18. Sace amacco pa.n.dita.m aacariya.m aaneyya maya.m dhamma.m ugga.nheyyaama.
if / minister / wise / teacher / would bring / we / doctrine / would learn
If the minister brings a wise teacher, we would learn the doctrine.
19. Sace aha.m hatthena suva.m phusitu.m ussaheyyaami so gehaa uppateyya.
if / I / with hand / parrot / to touch / would try / it / from house / would fly
If I try to touch the parrot with (my) hand, it might fly out of the house.
20. Yadi so vejja.m pakkositu.m iccheyya aha.m ta.m (him) aaneyyaami.
if / he / doctor / to call / would wish / I / him / would bring
If he wishes to call the doctor, I will bring him.
Translate into Pali
1. If you cover up the evil deeds your sons do, they will become thieves.
sace / tva.m / chaadeyyaasi / akusalakammaani / puttaana.m / te / bhaveyyu.m / coraa
Sace tva.m puttaana.m akusalakammaani chaadeyyaasi, te coraa bhaveyyu.m.
2. If you (pl.) want to become virtuous men avoid evil.
yadi / tumhe / iccheyyaatha / bhavitu.m / sappurisaa / parivajjeyyaatha / papa.m
Yadi tumhe sappurisaa bhavitu.m iccheyyaatha, papa.m parivajjeyyaatha.
3. If we look with our eyes we will see objects in the world, if we look with our minds we will see good and evil.
sace / maya.m / olokeyyaama / nayanehi / passeyyaama / ruupaani / loke / sace / maya.m / olokeyyaama / cittehi / passeyyaama / puñña.m ca / paapa.m ca
Sace maya.m nayanehi olokeyyaama loke ruupaani passeyyaama, sace maya.m cittehi olokeyyaama puñña.m ca paapa.m ca
4. If you (sg.) start singing a song, the children will start dancing.
yadi / tva.m / aarabheyyaasi / gaayitu.m / giita.m / daarakaa / aarabheyyu.m / naccitu.m
Yadi tva.m giita.m gaayitu.m aarabheyyaasi, daarakaa naccitu.m aarabheyyu.m.
5. If we depart from the human world we will not fear to be born in the human world.
sace / maya.m / caveyyaama / manussalokasmaa / na bhaayissaama / uppajjitu.m / manussalokasmi.m
Sace maya.m manussalokasmaa caveyyaama manussalokasmi.m uppajjitu.m na
6. If gods are born in the human world they will do meritorious deeds.
yadi / devaa / uppajjeyu.m / manussalokamhi / te / kareyyu.m / puññakammaani
Yadi devaa manussalokamhi uppajjeyu.m te puññakammaani kareyyu.m.
7. If you search for the truth you will approach the Buddha living in the monastery.
sace / tva.m / pariyeseyyaasi / sacca.m / tva.m / upasa'nkameyyaasi / Buddha.m / vasanta.m / vihaare
Sace tva.m sacca.m pariyeseyyaasi tva.m vihaare vasanta.m Buddha.m
8. If you admonish the merchant he will become a virtuous man.
yadi / tva.m / ovadeyyaasi / vaa.nija.m / so / bhavissati / sappuriso
Yadi tva.m vaa.nija.m ovadeyyaasi, so sappuriso bhavissati.
9. If I invite the monk he will come home to preach the dhamma.
sace / aha.m / nimanteyyaami / sama.na.m / so / aagamissati / geha.m / desetu.m / dhamma.m
Sace aha.m sama.na.m nimanteyyaami, so dhamma.m desetu.m geha.m aagamissati.
10. If you are a good man you will not kill oxen roaming in the forest.
yadi / tva.m / bahvasi / sappuriso / (tva.m) / na maaressasi / go.ne / aahi.n.daamaane / araññasmi.m
Yadi tva.m sappuriso bhavasi araññasmi.m aahi.n.daamaane go.ne na maaressasi.
11. If you do work in the field you will get wealth and corn.
sace / tva.m / kareyyaasi / kamma.m / khettamhi / tva.m /
labhissasi / dhana.m ca / dhañña.m ca
Sace tva.m khettamhi kamma.m kareyyaasi, tva.m dhana.m ca dhañña.m ca
12. If the king wishes to govern the island righteously he will discuss with
wise men and ministers.
yadi / bhuupaalo / iccheyya / paaletu.m / diipa.m /
dhammena / so / manteyya / saha / pa.n.ditehi ca / amaccehi ca
Yadi bhuupaalo dhammena diipa.m paaletu.m iccheyya, so pa.n.ditehi ca amaccehi
ca saha manteyya.
13. If you work in the field you will see farmers ploughing.
sace / tva.m / karissasi kamma.m / khette / (tva.m) /
passeyyaasi / kassake / kasamaane
Sace tva.m khette kamma.m karissasi kasamaane kassake passeyyaasi.
14. I see boys playing in the park with a monkey.
aha.m / passaami / kumaare / kii.lante / uyyaamasmi.m /
saddhi.m / vaanarena
Aha.m vaanarena saddhi.m uyyaamasmi.m kii.lante kumaare passaami.
15. If they want to see birds singing they will go to the park.
yadi / te / iccheyyu.m / passitu.m / saku.ne / gaayante / te / gamissanti / uyyaana.m
Yadi te gaayante saku.ne passitu.m iccheyyu.m te uyyaana.m gamissanti.
16. If you listen to the dhamma you will be able to live righteously.
sace / tva.m / su.neyyaasi / dhamma.m / (tva.m) / sakkissasi / vasitu.m / dhammena
Sace tva.m dhamma.m su.neyyaasi dhammena vasitu.m sakkissasi.
17. If you avoid evil friends (paapamitte) you will become a good man.
yadi / tva.m / parivajjeyyaasi / paapamitte / tva.m / bhavissasi / sappuriso
Yadi tva.m paapamitte parivajjeyyaasi tva.m sappuriso bhavissasi.
18. If the minister is not a good man we will not approach him.
sace / amacco / na hoti / sappuriso / maya.m / na upasa'nkamissaama / ta.m
Sace amacco sappuriso na hoti maya.m ta.m na upasa'nkamissaama.
19. If there are fruits on the tree I will climb to pick them (taani).
yadi / honti / phalaani / rukkhamhi / aha.m / aruhissaami / ocinitu.m / taani
Yadi rukkhamhi phalaani honti aha.m taani ocinitu.m rukkha.m aruhissaami.
20. If I pick fruits you will eat them with friends.
sace / aha.m / ocineyyaami / phalaani / tva.m / bhuñjissasi / te / mittehi saha
Sace aha.m phalaani ocineyyaami tva.m mittehi saha te bhuñjissasi.