Pali Primer Exercise 22
Translate into English
1. Upaasakehi sama.naa vanditabbaa honti.
by lay devotees / monks / to be honoured / are
Monks are to be honoured by lay devotees.
2. Ma˝juusaaya.m nikkhipitabba.m suva.n.na.m maa ma˝casmi.m .thapehi.
in box / should be kept / gold / do not / on bed / leave!
Do not leave on the bed the gold which should be kept in the box.
3. Sappurisaa puujaniiye puujenti, asappurisaa tathaa (likewise) na karonti.
good men / (those) who should be honoured / honour / wicked men / likewise / do not / do
Good men honour those worthy of honour, wicked men do not do likewise.
4. Bhuupaalena rakkhitabba.m diipa.m amaccaa na sammaa (well) paalenti.
by king / should be protected / island / ministers / do not / well / protect
The ministers do not govern well the island which should be protected by the king.
5. Manussehi dhammo ugga.nhitabbo, sacca.m adhigantabba.m hoti.
by people / dhamma / should be learned / truth / to be understood / is
The dhamma should be learned by the people, the truth is to be realised.
6. Kumaariihi aaha.taani pupphaani udakena aasi˝citabbaani honti.
by girls / brought / flowers / with water / to be sprinked / are
The flowers brought by the girls are to be sprinkled with water.
7. Corena gahita.m bhaginiyaa dhana.m pariyesitabba.m hoti.
by robber / takeb / sister's / wealth / to be searched / is
The wealth of (my) sister taken by the robber is to be searched for.
8. Uyyaane ropitaa rukkhaa na chinditabbaa honti.
in park / planted / trees / not to be cut / are
The trees planted in the park are not to be cut.
9. Dhotabbaani dussaani gahetvaa yuvatiyo hasamaanaa pokkhara.ni.m otari.msu.
to be washed / clothes / having taken / maidens / laughing / [into] pond / stepped
Having taken the clothes to be washed, the maidens stepped into the pond laughing.
10. Sama.nehi ovaditabbaa kumaaraa vihaara.m na gami.msu.
by monks / to be advised / boys / [to] monastery / did not go
The boys to be advised by the monks did not go to the monastery.
11. Kassakena kasitabba.m khetta.m vikki.nitu.m vaa.nijo ussahi.
by farmer / to be ploughed / field / to sell / merchant / tried
The merchant tried to sell the field to be ploughed by the farmer.
12. Aapa.nesu .thapitaani vikki.nitabbaani bhandaani ki.nitu.m te na icchi.msu.
in shops / kept / to be sold / goods / to buy / they / did not wish
They did not wish to buy the goods kept for sale in the shops.
13. Ammaa khaadaniiyaani ca bhojaniiyaani ca pa.tiyaadetvaa daarakaana.m deti.
mother / hard food and / soft food and / having prepared / to children / gives
The mother prepares hard and soft food, and gives (them) to (her) children.
14. Manussehi daanaani daatabbaani, siilaani rakkhitabbaani, pu˝˝aani kaatabbaani.
by people / alms / should be given / precepts / should be observed / merits / should be done
People should give alms, observe precepts and do meritorious deeds.
15. Go.naana.m daatabbaani ti.naani kassako khettamhaa aahari.
to oxen / to be given / grass / farmer / from field / brought
The farmer brought from the field the grass to be given to the oxen.
16. Migaa paaniiya.m udaka.m pariyesantaa a.taviya.m aahi.n.di.msu.
deer / drinking water / water / searching [for] / in forest / wandered
The deer searching for drinking water wandered in the forest.
17. Darikaaya daatu.m phalaani aapa.nasmaa vaa (or) khettamhaa vaa aaharitabbaani
to girl / to give / fruits / from shop or / from field or / to be brought / are
The fruits are to be brought from the shop or the field to give to the girl.
18. Kathetabba.m vaa akathetabba.m* vaa ajaananto asappuriso maa sabhaaya.m
should be spoken or / should not be spoken or / not knowing / wicked man / does not / in assembly / mayůsit!
Let not a wicked man who does not know what should be spoken and what should not be spoken sit in the assembly.
19. Tumhe bhuupaalaa amaccehi ca pa.n.ditehi ca sama.nehi ca anusaasitabbaa hotha.
you / kings / by ministers and / by wise men and / by monks and / to be instructed / are
You kings are to be instructed by ministers, wise men and monks.
20. Upaasakena pu.t.tho pa˝ho pa.n.ditena vyaakaatabbo hoti.
by lay person / asked / question / by wise man / to be explained / is
The question asked by the lay person is to be explained by a wise man.
21. Bhuupaalassa uyyaane vasantaa migaa ca sakunaa ca luddakehi na hantabbaa honti.
king's / in park / living / deer and / birds and / by hunter / not to be killed / are
Deer and birds living in the king's park are not to be killed by hunters.
22. Kusala.m ajaanitvaa paapa.m karontaa kumaaraa na akkositabbaa, te sama.nehi ca pa.n.dehi ca sappurisehi ca anusaasitabbaa.
good / not having known / evil / committing / boys / should not be scolded / they / by monks and / by wise men and / by virtuous men and / should be advised
Boys who commit sin without knowing what is wholesome should not be scolded, they should be advised by monks, wise men and virtuous men.
23. Asappurisaa parivajjetabbaa, maa tumhe tehi saddhi.m (with them) gaame aahi.n.datha.
wicked men / should be avoided / do not / you / with them / in village / wander!
Wicked men should be avoided, you do not wander in the village with them.
24. Suraa na paatabbaa, sace piveyyaatha tumhe gilaanaa bhavissatha.
liquor / should not be drunk / if / (you) drink / you / sick / will become
Liquor should not be drunk, if you drink you will fall ill.
25. Dhammena jiivantaa manussaa devehi rakkhitabbaa honti.
righteously / living / people / by deities / to be protected / are
People living righteously are to be protected by deities.
Translate into Pali
1. At night people should light lamps.
rattiya.m / manussaa / jaalentu / diipe
Rattiya.m manussaa diipe jaalentu.
2. The merchant brought horses to be sold to the farmers.
vaa.nijo / aahari / asse / vikki.nitabbe / kassakaana.m
Vaa.nijo kassakaana.m vikki.nitabbe asse aahari.
3. Objects should be seen with eyes, tastes (rasaani) should be enjoyed with the tongue.
ruupaani / passitabbaani / locanehi / rasaani / saadiyitabbaani / jivhaaya
Locanehi ruupaani passitabbaani, jivhaaya rasaani saadiyitabbaani.
4. The dog should not be hit with sticks and stones.
kukkuro / na paharitabbo (hoti) / ya.t.thiihi ca / paasaa.nehi ca
Kukkuro ya.t.thiihi ca paasaa.nehi ca na paharitabbo hoti.
5. People in the island should be protected by the king and his ministers.
manussaa / diipe / aarakkhitabba (honti) / bhuupaalena ca / amaccehi ca
Manussaa diipe bhuupaalena ca amaccehi ca aarakkhitabba honti.
6. Flowers should not be picked by men walking in the park.
pupphaani / na ocinitabbaani (honti) / narehi / carantehi / uyyaane
Pupphaani uyyaane carantehi narehi na ocinitabbaani honti.
7. The corn should be measured by the farmer with his wife.
dha˝˝a.m / mi.nitabba.m (hoti) / kassakena / bhariyaaya saha
Dha˝˝a.m bhariyaaya saha kassakena mi.nitabba.m hoti.
8. Men should not do evil.
(Lit.: Evil should not be done by men.)
manussehi / na kaatabba.m / paapa.m
Manussehi paapa.m na kaatabba.m.
9. Grass and water should be given to oxen and goats.
tina.m ca / udaka.m ca / daatabba.m (hoti) / go.naana.m ca / ajaana.m ca
Tina.m ca udaka.m ca go.naana.m ca ajaana.m ca daatabba.m hoti.
10. The assembly should be addressed by the teacher's sister.
parisaa / aamantetabbaa / aacariyassa / bhaginiyaa
Parisaa aacariyassa bhaginiyaa aamantetabbaa.
11. The lions sleeping in the caves should not be approached by men.
siihaa / sayantaa / guhaasu / na upasa'nkamitabbaa (honti) / narehi
Guhaasu sayantaa siihaa narehi na upasa'nkamitabbaa honti.
12. The mother's clothes should be washed by the girl.
ammaaya / dussaani / dhovitabbaani (honti) / daarikaaya
Ammaaya dussaani daarikaaya dhovitabbaani honti.
* akathetabba.m: a- here is a negative prefix.