Pali Primer Exercise 24
Translate into English
1. Vadhuu sassuyaa dhenu.m rajjuyaa bandhitvaa khetta.m nesi.
daughter-in-law / mother-in-law's / cow / with rope / having tied / [to] field / took
The daughter-in-law tied (her) mother-in-law's cow with a rope and took (it) to the field.
2. Ammaa yaagu.m pacitvaa daarakaana.m datvaa ma˝ce nisiidi.
mother / gruel / having cooked / to children / having given / on bed / sat
Having cooked gruel and given (it) to the children, the mother sat on the bed.
3. Yuvatiyaa hattesu ca a.nguliisu ca daddu atthi.
maiden's / hands and / fingers and / eczema / there is
There is eczema on the hands and fingers of the young girl.
4. Maya.m a.taviya.m carantiyo ka.neruyo apassimha.
we / in forest / roaming / cow-elephants / saw
We saw the cow-elephants roaming in the forest.
5. Itthii yuvatiyaa bhatta.m pacaapetvaa daarikaana.m thoka.m thoka.m
woman / maiden / rice / got...to cook / to girls / little
by little / distributed
The women got the maiden to cook rice and gave a little each to the girls.
Alt: The woman got the maiden to cook rice and she distributed it to the girls
little by little.
6. Tumhe vijjuyaa aalokena guhaaya.m sayanta.m siiha.m passittha.
you / lightning's / with light / in cave / sleeping / lion / saw
With the light of the lightning, you saw the lion sleeping in the cave.
7. Yuvatiyaa hatthesu kumaarehi dinnaa maalaayo santi.
maiden's / in hands / by boys / given / garlands / are
In the maiden's hands are the garlands given by the boys.
8. Vadhuu khette kaasuusu patitaani phalaani sa.mhari.
daughter-in-law / in field / in pits / fallen / fruits / collected
The daughter-in-law collected the fruits fallen in the pits in the field.
9. Braahma.no Buddhassa dhaatuyo vibhajitvaa bhuupaalaana.m adadi/adaasi.
brahmin / Buddha's / relics / having distributed / to kings / gave
The brahmin distributed Buddha's relics and gave to the kings.
10. Vadhuu sassuyaa paade vandi.
daughter-in-laws / mother-in-law's / feet / honoured
The daughter-in-laws honoured their mother-in-law's feet.
11. Yuvatiyaa geha.m sammajjitabba.m hoti.
maiden's / house / to be swept / is
The young girl's house should be swept.
12. Devataayo sakala.m (entire) vihaara.m obhaasentiyo Buddha.m
deities / entire / monastery / illuminating / Buddha / approached
The deities illuminating the entire monastery approached the Buddha.
13. A.taviisu vasantiyo ka.neruyo saakhaayo bha˝jitvaa khaadanti.
in forest / living / cow-elephants / branches / having broken / eat
The cow-elephants living in the forest break the branches and eat.
14. Aha.m rukkhassa chaayaaya.m nisinnaana.m dhenuuna.m ca go.naana.m ca ti.naani adadi.m/adaasi.m.
I / tree's / in shadow / seated / cows and / bulls and / grass / gave
I gave grass to the cows and bulls seated in the shade of the tree.
15. Itthii magge gacchanti.m amma.m passitvaa rathamhaa oruyha ta.m vanditvaa rathasmi.m aaropetvaa geha.m nesi.
woman / on road / going / mother / having seen / from chariot / having descended / her / having honoured / [into] chariot / made...get into / home / led
Having seen the mother going on the road, the woman got off from the chariot, honoured her, made her get into the chariot and took her home.
16. Vadhuu gehassa dvaara.m thaketvaa nahaayitu.m nadi.m upasa`nkamitvaa yuvatiihi saddhi.m sallapantii nadiyaa tiire a.t.thaasi.
daughter-in-law / house's / door / having shut / to bathe / [to] river / having approached / with maidens / talking / river's / on bank / stood
Having shut the front door, the daughter-in-law approaching the river to bathe stood on the bank of the river talking with young women.
17. Bhuupaalo manusse vihi.msante core naasetvaa dipa.m paalesi.
king / people / harming / robbers / having destroyed / island / ruled
The king destroyed the robbers harming the people, and ruled the island.
18. Ammaa asappurise bhajamaane putte sama.nehi ovaadaapesi.
mother / wicked men / associating with / sons / monks / got...to advise
The mother got the monks to advise (her) sons associating with wicked men.
19. Sappurisena ki.nitvaa aaha.tehi bha.n.dehi cha.d.detabba.m natthi.
by good man / having brought / purchased / goods / to be thrown away / there is nothing
There is nothing to be thrown away from the goods purchased and brought by the good man.
20. Maa tumhe gaame vasante kassake vihi.msatha.
do not / you / in village / living / farmers / harm!
(You) Do not harm the farmers living in the village.
Translate into Pali
1. The mother took the gold kept in the box and gave it to the daughter.
ammaa / gahetvaa / suva.n.na.m / .thapita.m / ma˝juusaaya.m /
adadi/adaasi / dhiituyaa
Ammaa ma˝juusaaya.m .thapita.m suva.n.na.m gahetvaa dhiituyaa adadi/adaasi.
2. The daughter-in-law honoured the gods with garlands and fruits.
vadhuu / puujesi / devataayo / maalaahi ca / phalehi ca
Vadhuu maalaahi ca phalehi ca devataayo puujesi.
3. If you dig holes, I will plant trees.
sace / tva.m / kha.neyyaasi / kaasuu / aha.m / ropessaami / rukkhe
Sace tva.m kaasuu kha.neyyaasi, aha.m rukkhe ropessaami.
4. You (pl.) go to the field and bring the corn home.
tumhe / khetta.m / gantvaa / aaharatha / dha˝˝a.m / geha.m
Tumhe khetta.m gantvaa geha.m dha˝˝a.m aaharatha.
5. Cow-elephants wandered in the forest eating plantain trees.
ka.neruyo / aahi.n.di.msu / a.taviya.m / khaadantiyo /
Ka.neruyo kadalirukkhe khaadantiyo a.taviya.m aahi.n.di.msu.
6. I looked at the girls crossing the river by boat.
aha.m / olokesi.m / kumaariyo / tarantiyo / nadi.m / do.niyaa
Aha.m do.niyaa nadi.m tarantiyo kumaariyo olokesi.m.
7. Young women pulled the branches fallen in the pit.
taru.niyo / aaka.d.dhi.msu / saakhaayo / patitaayo / kaasuya.m
Taru.niyo kaasuya.m patitaayo saakhaayo aaka.d.dhi.msu.
8. The rays of the sun illuminate the world.
rasmiyo / suriyassa / obhaasenti / loka.m
Suriyassa rasmiyo loka.m obhaasenti.
9. Singing songs the sisters went to the tank to bathe.
gaayantiyo / giitaani / bhaginiyo / gacchi.msu / vaapi.m / nahaayitu.m
Giitaani gaayantiyo bhaginiyo nahaayitu.m vaapi.m gacchi.msu.
10. The woman tied the cow with a rope and brought it to the field.
vanitaa / bandhitvaa / gaavi.m / rajjuyaa / aanesi / khetta.m
Vanitaa rajjuyaa gaavi.m bandhitvaa khetta.m aanesi.
11. The daughter-in-law went to Anuraadhapura with the mother-in-law to honour the relics of the Buddha.
vadhu / agacchi / Anuraadhapura.m / sassuyaa saha / vanditu.m / Tathaagata-dhaatuyo
Vadhu Tathaagatadhaatuyo vanditu.m sassuyaa saha Anuraadhapura.m agacchi.
12. May virtue and wisdom illuminate the minds of men in the world.
siila.m ca / pa˝˝aa ca / obhaasentu / cittaani / manussaana.m / loke
Siila.m ca pa˝˝aa ca loke manussaana.m cittaani obhaasentu.