Pali Primer Exercise 27
Translate into English
1. Bhikkhavo Tathaagatassa saavakaa honti.
monks / Buddha's / disciples / are
The monks are disciples of the Buddha.
2. Bandhavo amma.m passitu.m nagaramhaa gaama.m aagami.msu.
relatives / mother / to see / from city / [to] village / came
The relatives came from the city to the village to see (their) mother.
3. Coro aara˝˝e taravo chinditu.m pharasu.m aadaaya gacchi/agami.
thief / in forest / trees / to cut / axe / having taken / went
The thief taking the axe went to cut the trees in the forest.
4. Siihaa ca diipayo ca a.taviya.m vasante pasavo maaretvaa khaadanti.
lions and / leopards and / in forest / living / beasts / having killed / eat
The lions and leopards kill and eat the beasts living in the forest.
5. Sappurisaa vi˝˝uno bhavanti.
righteous men / wise men / are
Righteous men are wise men.
6. Bhuupati mantiihi saddhi.m sindhu.m taritvaa sattavo paharitvaa jinitu.m ussahi.
king / with ministers / sea / having crossed / enemies / having attacked / to win / tried
The king crossed the sea with the ministers, attacked the enemies and tried to win.
7. Ammaa ka.tacchunaa daarika.m odana.m bhojaapesi.
mother / with spoon / to girl / rice / fed
The mother fed rice to the girl with a spoon.
8. Hatthino ca ka.neruyo ca ucchavo aaka.d.dhitvaa khaadi.msu.
male elephants and / female elephants and / sugarcane / having pulled / ate
Male and female elephants pulled and ate the sugarcane.
9. Bhuupatissa mantino sattuuna.m ketavo aahari.msu.
king's / ministers / enemies' / flags / brought
The king's ministers brought the enemies' flags.
10. Setumhi nisinno bandhu taruno saakha.m hatthena aaka.d.dhi.
on bridge / seated / relative / tree's / branch / with hand / dragged
The relative seated on the bridge dragged the branch of the tree with hand.
11. Uyyaane ropitesu ve.luusu pakkhino nisiiditvaa gaayanti.
in park / planted / bamboos / birds / having perched / sing
The birds perch and sing on the bamboos planted in the park.
12. Sace pabhuno attha˝˝uu honti manussaa sukhino gaame viharitu.m sakkonti.
if / important people / benevolent / are / people / happily / in village / to live / are able
If important people are benevolent (and wise), (common) people are able to live happily in the village.
13. Sabba˝˝uu Tathaagato dhammena manusse anusaasati.
all-knowing / Buddha / according to law / people / admonishes
The all-knowing Buddha admonishes the people according to the law.
14. Matta˝˝uu* sappurisaa diighajiivino ca sukhino ca bhaveyyu.m.
moderate / good men / long living and / happy and / may become
May good men who know their limits live long happily.
15. Vi˝˝uuhi anusaasitaa maya.m kumaaraa sappurisaa bhavitu.m ussahimha.
by wise man / admonished / we / boys / righteous man / to be / tried
Admonished by the wise man, we boys tried to be righteous men.
16. Maya.m ravino aalokena aakaase u.d.dente pakkhino passitu.m sakkoma.
we / sun's / with light / in sky / flying / birds / to see / are able
With the light of the sun, We are able to see the birds flying in the sky.
17. Tumhe pabhuno hutvaa dhammena jiivitu.m vaayameyyaatha.
you / eminent / having become / righteously / to live / try
You try to become eminent and live righteously.
18. Aha.m dhamma.m desenta.m bhikkhu.m jaanaami.
I / dhamma / preaching / monk / know
I know the monk preaching the dhamma.
19. Ahayo aakhavo khaadantaa a.taviyaa vammikesu (anthills) vasanti.
serpents / mice / eating / in forest / in anthills / live
Serpents live in the anthills in the forest eating mice.
20. Vanitaaya sassu bhaginiyaa ucchavo ca padumaani ca adadi/adaasi.
woman's / mother-in-law / to sister / sugarcane and / lotuses and / gave
The woman's mother-in-law gave sugarcane and lotuses to (her) sister.
Translate into Pali
1. Crossing the bridge the enemy has entered the island.
taritvaa / setu.m / sattu / pavisi / diipa.m
Sattu setu.m taritvaa diipa.m pavisi.
2. You shall not cut bamboos with axes, you may with saws.
tumhe / maa / chindatha / ve.lavo / pharasuuhi / tumhe /
Maa tumhe pharasuuhi ve.lavo chindatha, kakacehi chindatha.
3. King's ministers tied banners on the bridge and on trees.
bhuupatino / amaccaa / bandhi.msu / ketavo / setumhi ca / rukkhesu ca
Bhuupatino amaccaa setumhi ca rukkhesu ca ketavo bandhi.msu.
4. The beasts fed the young ones with rats.
pasavo / khaadaapesu.m / aakhavo / susuuhi
Pasavo susuuhi aakhavo khaadaapesu.m.
5. Wise men became eminent people.
vi˝˝uno / abhavi.msu / pabhuno
Vi˝˝uno pabhuno abhavi.msu.
6. The monk was a relation of the king who rules the island.
bhikkhu / ahosi / bandhu / bhuupatissa / paalentassa / diipa.m
Bhikkhu diipa.m paalentassa bhuupatissa bandhu ahosi.
7. The trees cut by the enemy fell into the sea.
rukkhaa / chinnaa / sattunaa / pati.msu / udadhimhi
Sattunaa chinnaa rukkhaa udadhimhi pati.msu.
8. With the fist the mother hit the dog which was trying to bite the girl.
mu.t.thinaa / ammaa / pahari / sunakha.m / ussahanta.m /
.dasitu.m / kumaari.m
Mu.t.thinaa ammaa kumaari.m .dasitu.m ussahanta.m sunakha.m pahari.
9. Kings protect recluses, brahmins, men and beasts living in the island.
bhuupatayo / rakkhanti / sama.ne ca / braahma.ne ca / manusse ca / pasavo ca / vasante / diipe
Bhuupatayo diipe vasante sama.ne ca braahma.ne ca manusse ca pasavo ca
10. Mother's sister killed a rat with a bamboo.
ammaaya / bhaginii / maresi / aakhu.m / ve.lunaa
Ammaaya bhaginii ve.lunaa aakhu.m maresi.
11. The teacher sent sugarcane to the **tuskers' young ones.
aacariyo / pesesi / ucchavo / daa.thiina.m / susuuna.m
Aacariyo daa.thiina.m susuuna.m ucchavo pesesi.
12. Seeing a monkey trying to enter the house the husband closed the door.
disvaa / kapi.m / ussahanta.m / pavisitu.m / geha.m / pati / thakesi / dvaara.m
Geha.m pavisitu.m ussahanta.m kapi.m disvaa pati dvaara.m thakesi.
* Matta˝˝uu may also be translated as those who have fewness of wishes, or
who are contented with little.
** Tuskers refer to the elephants or animals having tusks.