Pali Primer Exercise 28
Translate into English
1. Satthaa bhikkhuuna.m dhamma.m desento rukkhassa chaayaaya nisinno hoti.
teacher / to monks / dhamma / preaching / tree's / in shade / seated / is
The teacher preaching the dhamma to the monks is seated in the shade of the tree.
2. Pu˝˝aani kattaaro bhikkhuuna.m ca taapasaana.m ca daana.m denti.
merits / doers / to monks and / to ascetics and / alms / give
Those who do meritorious deeds give alms to the monks and ascetics.
3. Sace satthaa dhamma.m deseyya vi˝˝aataaro bhavissanti.
if / teacher / dhamma / would preach / knowers / (there) will be
If the teacher would preach the dhamma, (there) will be those who understand.
4. Bhuupati diipasmi.m jetaa bhavatu.
king / in island / victorious / may...be
May the king be victorious in the island.
5. Pitaa dhiitara.m aadaaya vihaara.m gantvaa satthaara.m vandaapesi.
father / daughter / having taken / [to] monastery / having gone / teacher / got...to worship
The father took his daughter (and went) to the monastery and made (her) worship the teacher.
6. Vi˝˝aataaro loke manussaana.m netaaro hontu/bhavantu.
wise ones / in world / people's / leaders / may...be
May the wise ones be leaders of the people in the world.
7. Bhaataa pitaraa saddhi.m maatuyaa pacita.m yaagu.m bhu˝ji.
brother / with father / by mother / cooked / gruel / ate
Brother, with father, ate the gruel prepared by mother.
8. Bhattaa nattaarehi saha kii.lanta.m kapi.m disvaa hasanto a.t.thaasi (stood).
husband / with grandchildren / playing / monkey / having seen / laughing / stood
Seeing the monkey playing with the grandchildren, the husband stood laughing.
9. Setu.m kattaaro ve.lavo bandhitvaa nadiyaa tiire .thapesu.m.
bridge / makers / bamboos / having tied / of river / on bank / kept
Bridge makers tied the bamboos and kept (them) on the river bank.
10. Sindhu.m taritvaa diipa.m gantaaro sattuuhi hataa honti.
sea / having crossed / [to] island / goers / by enemies / killed / are
Having crossed the sea, those going to the island are killed by the enemies.
11. Bhariyaa bhattu saa.take rajakena dhovaapesi.
wife / husband's / garments / washerman / got...to wash
The wife got the washerman to wash the garments of (her) husband.
12. Netuno katha.m sotaaro uyyaane nisinnaa suriyena pii.litaa honti.
leader's / speech / listeners / in park / seated / by sun / oppressed / are
The listeners of the leader's speech seated in the park are oppressed by the sun.
13. Daataarehi dinnaani vatthaani yaacakehi na vikki.nitabbaani honti.
by donors / given / clothes / by beggars / not / to be sold / are
The clothes given by the donors should not be sold by the beggars.
14. Rodantassa nattussa kujjhitvaa vanitaa ta.m (him) hatthena pahari.
crying / with crying grandson / having got angry / woman / him / with hand / hit
Having got angry with the crying grandson, the woman hit him with (her) hand.
15. Vinetuno ovaada.m (advice) sutvaa bandhavo sappurisaa abhavi.msu/ahesu.m.
disciplinarian's / advice / having heard / relatives / good men / became
Having heard the disciplinarian's advice, the relatives became good men.
16. Gehesu ca a.taviisu ca vasante aakhavo ahayo khaadanti.
in houses and / in forests and / living / mice / serpents / eat
The serpents eat the mice living in the houses and forests.
17. Nattaa maatara.m yaagu.m yaacanto bhuumiya.m patitvaa rodati.
grandchild / mother / gruel / begging / on ground / having fallen / cries
Begging mother (for) gruel, the grandchild falls on the ground and cries.
18. Tumhe bhaataraana.m ca bhaginiina.m ca maa kujjhatha.
you / with brothers and / with sisters and / do not / get angry
You, do not get angry with (your) brothers and sisters.
19. Diipa.m gantaarehi naavaaya sindhu taritabbo hoti.
[to] island / by goers / by ship / sea / to be crossed / is
Those who go to the island should cross the sea by ship.
20. Pubbakaa (ancient) isayo mantaana.m (magic spells) kattaaro ca mantaana.m pavattaaro (reciters) ca abhavi.msu/ahesu.m.
ancient / seers / magic spells' / composers and / magic spells' / reciters and / were
Ancient seers were composers and reciters of magic spells.
21. Matta˝˝uu daataaro nattaaraana.m thoka.m thoka.m modake (sweets) dadi.msu/ada.msu.
moderate / donors / to grandchildren / a little (of) / sweets / gave
The moderate donors gave a little of the sweets to the grandchildren.
22. Attha˝˝uu netaaro manusse sappurise karontaa vinetaaro bhavanti.
intelligent / leaders / people / good men / making / disciplinarians / are
Intelligent leaders are disciplinarians who make people good men.
23. Maataa dhiitara.m ovadantii siisa.m (head) cumbitvaa (kissed) baahu.m aamasitvaa samassaasesi.
mother / daughter / advising / head / having kissed / arm / having stroked / comforted
The mother advising the daughter kissed (her) head, stroked (her) arm and comforted her.
24. Vada˝˝uu braahma.no khudaaya pii.lente yaacake disvaa pahuuta.m (much) bhojana.m (food) daapesi.
generous / brahmin / by hunger / oppressed / beggars / having seen / much / food / got...to be given
The generous brahmin saw beggars oppressed with hunger and caused much food to be given.
25. Saarathinaa aaha.te ve.lavo gahetvaa va.d.dhakii saala.m maapesi.
by charioteer / brought / bamboos / having taken / carpenter / hall / got...built
Having taken the bamboos brought by the charioteer, the carpenter got a hall built.
Translate into Pali
1. Father and mother went with the brother to see the sister.
pitaa ca / maataa ca / agami.msu / bhaataraa saha / passitu.m / bhagini.m
Pitaa ca maataa ca bhaataraa saha bhagini.m passitu.m agami.msu.
2. Evil doers will not live long happily.
paapakaarino / na bhavissanti / diighajiivino / sukhino
Paapakaarino na sukhino diighajiivino bhavissanti.
3. May the king, together with his retinue, become victorious.
bhuupati / parisaaya saha / bhavantu / jetaaro
Bhuupati parisaaya saha jetaaro bhavantu.
4. Mother's brother is the uncle.
maataaya / bhaataa / hoti / maatulo
Maataaya bhaataa maatulo hoti.
5. The enemies of my brothers tied banners on trees and bamboos.
sattavo / bhaatuuna.m / bandhi.msu / ketavo / taruusu ca / ve.luusu ca
Bhaatuuna.m sattavo taruusu ca ve.luusu ca ketavo bandhi.msu.
6. The house builder gave bamboos to the grandsons.
va.d.dhakii/gahakaarako / dadi/adaasi / ve.lavo / nattaana.m
Va.d.dhakii/gahakaarako nattaana.m ve.lavo dadi/adaasi.
7. Brother gave food to (my) daughter with a spoon.
bhaataa / dadi/adaasi / bhojana.m / duhituyaa / ka.tacchunaa
Bhaataa ka.tacchunaa duhituyaa bhojana.m dadi/adaasi.
8. The Buddha is the teacher of gods and men.
Buddho / hoti / satthaa / devaana.m ca / manussaana.m ca
Buddho devaana.m ca manussaana.m ca satthaa hoti.
9. May you (pl.) be speakers of the truth.
tumhe / bhavatha / sacca.m vattaaro
Tumhe sacca.m vattaaro bhavatha.
10. Good husbands are kind (kaaru.nikaa) to their wives like gods.
sappurisaa bhattaaro / honti / kaaru.nikaa / bhariyaana.m / viya / devaa
Sappurisaa bhattaaro bhariyaana.m devaa viya kaaru.nikaa honti.
11. Let good men become powerful ministers to govern the island.
sappurisaa / bhavantu / balino amaccaa / paaletu.m / diipa.m
Sappurisaa diipa.m paaletu.m balino amaccaa bhavantu.
12. The powerful kings were victorious.
balavantaa / bhuupatayo / abhavi.msu/bhavi.msu / jetaaro
Balavantaa bhuupatayo jetaaro abhavi.msu/bhavi.msu.