An Elementary Pali Course Lesson II
Exercise 2-A: Translate into English.
1. Tva.m rathena gacchasi.
you / by cart / go
You go by the cart.
2. Tva.m aadarena Dhamma.m desesi.
you / with affection / Dhamma / preach
You preach the Dhamma with affection.
3. Tva.m gilaanassa osadha.m desi.
you / to sick person / medicine / give
You give the medicine to the sick person.
4. Tva.m da.n.dena sunakha.m paharasi.
you / with stick / dog / strike
You strike the dog with a stick.
5. Tva.m vejjaana.m rathe pesesi.
you / to doctors / chariots / send
You send the chariots to the doctors.
6. Tumhe aadarena gilaanaana.m aahaara.m detha.
you / with care / to the sick / food / give
You give food to the sick with care.
7. Tumhe daasehi gaama.m* gacchatha.
you / with servants / [to] village / go
You go to the village with the servants.
8. Tumhe samanaana.m dhamma.m desetha.
you / to ascetics / doctrine / preach
You preach the doctrine to the ascetics.
9. Tumhe hatthehi osadhi.m labhatha.
you / with hands / medicine / receive
You receive the medicine with (your) hands.
10. Tumhe sunakhassa aahaara.m haratha.
you / to dog / food / carry
You carry the food to the dog.
11. Daarakaa sunakhehi gaama.m gacchanti.
children / with dogs / [to] village / go
The children go to the village with the dogs.
12. Suudaa hatthehi gha.te dhovanti.
cooks / with hands / pots / wash
The cooks wash the pots with (their) hands.
13. Tumhe gilaane vejjassa pesetha.
you / sick people / to doctor / send
You send the sick people to the doctor.
14. Daaso janakassa aahaara.m aaharati.
servant / to father / food / brings
The servant brings food to the father.
15. Sama.naa aadarena dhamma.m desenti.
ascetics / with affection / doctrine / preach
The ascetics preach the doctrine with affection.
16. Tumhe da.n.dehi sunakhe paharatha.
you / with sticks / dogs / hit
You hit the dogs with sticks.
17. Vejjo rathena gaama.m aagacchati.
doctor / by chariot / [to] village / comes
The doctor comes to the village by the chariot.
18. Daarakaa aadarena yaacakaana.m aahaara.m denti.
children / with care / to beggars / food / give
The children give food to the beggars with care.
19. Tva.m sama.nehi Buddha.m vandasi.
you / with ascetics / Buddha / salute
You salute the Buddha with the ascetics.
20. Tumhe hatthehi osadha.m niiharatha.
you / with hands / medicine / remove
You remove the medicine with (your) hands.
* Verbs implying motion take the Accusative.
Exercise 2-B: Translate into Pali.
1. You are coming with the dog.
tva.m / aagacchasi / sunakhena
Tva.m sunakhena aagacchasi.
2. You are giving medicine to the ascetic.
tva.m / desi / osadha.m / sama.nassa
Tva.m sama.nassa osadha.m desi.
3. You are sending a chariot to the sick person.
tva.m / pesesi / ratha.m / gilaanassa
Tva.m gilaanassa ratha.m pesesi.
4. You are striking the dogs with sticks.
tva.m / paharasi / sunakhe / da.n.dehi
Tva.m da.n.dehi sunakhe paharasi.
5. You are preaching the Doctrine to the ascetics.
tva.m / desesi / Dhamma.m / sama.naana.m
Tva.m sama.naana.m Dhamma.m desesi.
6. You give food to the servants with care.
tva.m / desi / aahaara.m / daasaana.m / aadarena
Tva.m aadarena daasaana.m aahaara.m desi.
7. You are going to the village with the ascetics.
tva.m / gacchasi / gaama.m / sama.nehi
Tva.m sama.nehi gaama.m gacchasi.
8. You are bringing a chariot for the doctor.
tva.m / aaharasi / ratha.m / vejjassa
Tva.m ratha.m vejjassa aaharasi.
Alt: Tva.m ratha.m vejjaaya aaharasi.
9. The sick are going with the servants.
gilaanaa / gacchanti / daasehi
Gilaanaa daasehi gacchanti.
10. The dogs are running with the children.
sunakhaa / dhaavanti / daarakehi
Sunakhaa daarakehi dhaavanti.
11. The Enlightened One is preaching the Doctrine to the sick.
Buddho / deseti / Dhamma.m / gilaanaana.m
Buddho Dhamma.m gilaanaana.m deseti.
12. The servants are giving food to the beggars.
daasaa / denti / aahaara.m / yaacakaana.m
Daasaa aahaara.m yaacakaana.m denti.
13. The father is going with the children to the village.
janako / gacchati / daarakehi / gaama.m
Janako daarakehi gaama.m gacchati.
14. You are going in a chariot with the servants.
tumhe / gacchatha / rathena / daasehi
Tumhe daasehi rathena gacchatha.
15. You are carrying medicine for the father.
tumhe / haratha / osadha.m / janakassa
Tumhe osadha.m janakassa haratha.
16. You get medicine through* the doctor.
tumhe / labhatha / osadha.m / vejjena
Tumhe vejjena osadha.m labhatha.
* Use the instrumental case.