An Elementary Pali Course Lesson XII
Exercise 12-A: Translate into English.
1. "Gaama.m no gaccheyyaama."
[to] village / we / should go
"We should go to the village."
2. "Buddho'pi Buddhassa bha.neyya va.n.na.m."
Buddha-too / Buddha's / should speak / praise
"The Buddha should speak the praise of the Buddha too."
3. "Na bhaje paapake mitte."
should not associate / evil friends
"(One) should not associate (with) evil friends."
4. "Sacca.m bha.ne, na kujjheyya."
truth / should speak / should not get angry
"(He) should speak the truth, (and) should not get angry."
5. "Dhamma.m vo desessaami."
Dhamma / to you / (I) shall preach
"(I) shall preach the Dhamma to you."
6. Sace aha.m saccaani bujjheyyaami te aaroceyyaami.
if / I / truths / should understand / to you / should
If I should understand the truths, I would announce (them) to you.
7. Yadi tva.m vaayameyyaasi khippa.m pa.n.dito bhaveyyaasi.
if / you / should try / quickly / wise man / should become
If you should try, you should become a wise man quickly.
Alt: If you try, you would quickly become wise.
8. Yaava tumhe ma.m passeyyaatha taava idha ti.t.theyyaatha.
until / you / me / should see / till / here / should stand
(You) should stand here until you see me.
9. Sace bhikkhuu dhamma.m deseyyu.m maya.m saadhuka.m su.neyyaama.
if / monks / dhamma / should preach / we / well / should listen
If the monks preach the Dhamma, we would listen well.
10. Saadhu bhante, eva.m no kareyyaama.
good / sir / thus / we / should do
Good sir, we should do thus.
Alt: Very good, venerable sir, we will do so.
11. Yadi tva.m mayaa saddhi.m gantu.m iccheyyaasi tava janani.m aarocetvaa aagaccheyyaasi.
if / you / with me / to go / wish / your / mother / having inform / should come
If you wish to go with me, (you) should inform your mother and come.
12. Amhesu ca tumhesu ca gahapatayo na khujjheyyu.m.
(with) us and / (with) you and / householders / should not get angry
The householders should not get angry with you and us.
13. Sace dhamma.m sutvaa mayi saddhaa tava uppajjeyya aha.m tva.m adhipati.m kareyyaami.
if / doctrine / having heard / in me / faith / to you / should arise / I / you / master / should make
If (my) faith in you should arise after hearing the doctrine, I should make you (my) master.
Alt: If faith in you should arise in me after hearing the Dhamma, I would make
you (my) master.
14. Yaava tumhe mutti.m labheyyaatha taava appamaadena vaayameyyaatha.
until / you / deliverance / should obtain / till / with earnestness / should strive
You should strive with earnestness until you obtain deliverance.
15. "Akkodhena jine kodha.m — asaadhu.m saadhunaa jine
Jine kadariya.m daanena — saccena alikavaadina.m."
with non-anger / should conquer / anger / evil / with good / should conquer
should conquer / miser / with giving / with truth / to liars
"One should conquer anger with non-anger — conquer evil with good
Conquer a miser with giving — to liars with truth."
Alt: "One should conquer anger with non-anger, evil with good,
The miser with generosity, and the liar with truth."
16. "Khippa.m vaayama; pa.n.dito bhava."
quickly / strive! / wise / be!
"Strive quickly; be wise."
Exercise 12-B: Translate into Pali.
1. You should not go with him.
tva.m / na gaccheyyaasi / tena saddhi.m
Tva.m tena saddhi.m na gaccheyyaasi.
2. Children, you should always speak the truth.
daarakaa / tumhe / nicca.m / bha.neyyaatha / sacca.m
Daarakaa, tumhe nicca.m sacca.m bha.neyyaatha.
3. Rev. Sir, I should like to ask a question from you.
bhante / aha.m / iccheyyaami / pucchitu.m / pańha.m / tvayaa
Bhante, aha.m tvayaa pańha.m pucchitu.m iccheyyaami.
Alt: Bhante, aha.m ta.m pańha.m pucchitu.m iccheyyaami.
4. Well, you should not be angry with me thus.
saadhu / tva.m / na kujjheyyaasi / mayi / eva.m
Saadhu, eva.m mayi (tva.m) na kujjheyyaasi.
5. I shall not go to see your friend until I receive a letter from you.
aha.m / na gaccheyyaami / passitu.m / te / mitta.m /
yaava…taava / aha.m / labheyyaami / lekhana.m / tayaa
Yaava tayaa lekhana.m labheyyaami taava aha.m te mitta.m passitu.m na gaccheyyaami.
Alt: Yaava tava lekhana.m [your letter] labheyyaami taava aha.m te mitta.m passitu.m na gaccheyyaami.
6. You should endeavour to overcome your anger by patience.
tva.m / vaayameyyaasi / abhibhavitu.m / te / kodha.m / khantiyaa
Tva.m khantiyaa (te) kodha.m abhibhavitu.m vaayameyyaasi.
7. If you would listen to my advice, I would certainly go with you.
sace / tva.m / su.neyyaasi / me / ovaada.m / aha.m / have / gaccheyyaami / te saddhi.m
Sace tva.m me ovaada.m su.neyyaasi, aha.m te saddhi.m have
8. You should tell me if he were to send a book to you.
tva.m / aaroceyyaasi / me / sace / so / peseyya / potthaka.m / te
Sace so te potthaka.m peseyya tva.m me aaroceyyaasi.
9. We should like to hear the doctrine from you, Rev. Sir.
maya.m / iccheyyaama / sotu.m / dhamma.m / tayaa / Bhante
Bhante, maya.m tayaa dhamma.m sotu.m iccheyyaama.
10. By giving we should conquer the misers.
daanena / maya.m / jineyyaama / kadariye
Maya.m daanena kadariye jineyyaama.
11. We should not be born in the evil states if we should understand the truths.*
maya.m / na uppajjeyyaama / duggatiisu / sace / maya.m / bujjheyyaama / saccaani
Sace maya.m saccaani bujjheyyaama (maya.m) duggatiisu na uppajjeyyaama.
12. Would you go immediately and bring the letter to me?
tva.m / gantvaa / khippa.m / aahareyyaasi / lekhana.m / me
Tva.m khippa.m gantvaa me lekhana.m aahareyyaasi?
13. If a good person were to associate with a wicked person, he may also become a wicked person.
sace / saadhu / bhajeyya / asaadhunaa saddhi.m / so / api / bhaveyya / asaadhu
Sace saadhu asaadhunaa saddhi.m bhajeyya, so asaadhu api bhaveyya.
14. Should wicked persons associate with the wise, they would soon become good men.
(sace) / asaadhavo / bhajeyyu.m / saadhuuhi saddhi.m / te / khippa.m / bhaveyyu.m / saadhavo
Sace asaadhavo saadhuuhi saddhi.m bhajeyyu.m, te khippa.m saadhavo bhaveyyu.m.
15. If you should hear me well, faith should arise in you.
sace / tumhe / su.neyyatha / ma.m / saadhuka.m / saddhaa / jaayeyya / tumhesu
Sace tumhe saadhuka.m ma.m su.neyyatha, saddhaa tumhesu jaayeyya.
* Changes have been made to original sentence.