An Elementary Pali Course Lesson XIX
Exercise 19-A: Translate into English.
1. "Etad* avoca** satthaa."
this / spoke / teacher
"This the teacher spoke."
2. "Bhagavaa etam'aaha."
the Blessed One / this / spoke
"The Blessed One spoke this."
3. "Idam'avoca Bhagavaa."
this / spoke / the Blessed One
"This the Blessed One spoke."
4. "Aacariyaa evam'aaha."
teachers / thus / spoke
"The teachers spoke thus."
5. "Attha.m hi naatho sara.na.m avoca."***
meaning / indeed / lord / refuge / spoke
"The meaning (is) truly the refuge", spoke the Lord.
6. "Satthaa ta.m itthi.m aaha - 'etissaa tava putta.m dehii'ti."
teacher / [to] that / [to] woman / said / to her / your / son / give
"The teacher said to that woman: 'Give your son to her.' "
7. Eko go tamasi khetta.m agamaa.
one / bull / in darkness / [to] field / went
One bull went to the field in darkness.
8. Vayasaa aha.m pa~nca viisati vassaani.
by age / I / twenty five / years
I am twenty five years of age.
9. "Manasaa sa.mvaro saadhu."
with mind / restraint / good
"Restraint of the mind is good."
10. "Ta.m saadhuka.m su.naahi, manasi karohi."
it / well / hear / on mind / work
"Listen well (and) pay attention****."
11. Amhaaka.m sattuno paade maya.m sirasaa avandamhaa.
our / teacher's / at foot / we / with head / paid homage
We paid homage at our teacher's foot with (our) head.
12. Tava vacasaa vaa manasaa vaa maa ki~nci paapaka.m kamma.m karohi.
your / with word / or / with mind / or / do not / any / wicked / deed / do!
Do not do any wicked deed with your word(s) or mind.
13. Aya.m naavaa ayasaa kataa.
this / ship / with iron / was built
This ship was built with iron.
14. Satta ahaani maya.m ki~nci'pi aahaara.m na abhu~njamhaa.
seven / throughout days / we / any-at all / food / did not eat
We did not eat any food at all for seven days.
15. Mayha.m bhaataa gona.m ti.na.m adaa.
my / brother / to bulls / grass / gave
My brother gave grass to the bulls.
* eta.m + avoca = etad avoca
** See PED vatti.
*** This passage comes from the Ka`nkhaavitara.nii, Buddhaghosa's atthakathaa
to the two Paatimokkhas. For more details, see the following message by Ven.
**** See PED p.521, under entry for mano/manas.
Exercise 19-B: Translate into Pali.
1. There is no dust in this street.
n'atthi / raja.m / imaaya.m / visikhaaya.m
Imaaya.m visikhaaya.m raja.m n'atthi.
2. The consent of the sick monks should be taken.
chandaa / giilaanaana.m / bhikkhuuna.m / gahetabbaa
Giilaanaana.m bhikkhuuna.m chandaa gahetabbaa.
3. Fathers carry their sons on their shoulders.
pitaro / haranti / tesa.m / putte / tesa.m / uresu
Pitaro (tesa.m) uresu tesa.m putte haranti.
4. My father is 45 years of age.
mayha.m / pitaa / pa~nca-cattaa.liisati / vassaani / vayasaa
Vayasaa mayha.m pitaa pa~nca-cattaa.liisati vassaani.
5. The World was in darkness for four days.
loko / ahesu.m / tame / cattaaro / ahaani
Loko cattaaro ahaani tame ahesu.m.
6. We should purify our own mind.
maya.m / visujjhaapenti / amhaaka.m / attaana.m / manaani
Maya.m (amhaaka.m) attaana.m manaani visujjhaapenti.
7. A fruit from the tree fell on my head.
eka.m / phala.m / rukkhamhaa / pati / mayha.m / sirasi
Eka.m phala.m rukkhamhaa mayha.m sirasi pati.
8. The farmers caused their sons to give grass to the cattle and went to the city.
kassakaa / daapetvaa / tesa.m / putte / ti.na.m / gava.m / agami.msu / nagara.m
Tesa.m putte gava.m ti.na.m daapetvaa kassakaa nagara.m agami.msu.
9. People revere him on account of his asceticism.
manussaa / puujenti / ta.m / tassa / tapaso
Manussaa (tassa) tapaso ta.m puujenti.
10. In glory may you shine like the moon.
yasaa / tva.m / dippaahi / viya / cando
Yasaa cando viya (tva.m) dippaahi.
11. The king by his majesty conquered all the people.
raajaa / tassa / tejaa / jinii / sabbe / manusse
Raajaa (tassa) tejaa sabbe manusse jinii.
12. They have no anger in their minds.
te / n'atthi / kodho / tesa.m / manesu
(Te) tesa.m manesu kodho n'atthi.
13. The cattle do not drink the water of this lake.
gaavo / na pibanti / udaka.m / imassa / sarassa
Gaavo imassa sarassa udaka.m na pibanti.
14. There is no essence in this milk.
n'atthi / oja.m / imasmi.m / payasmi.m
Imasmi.m payasmi.m oja.m n'atthi.