The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 10-A: Translate into English.
1. Bhagavaa ajja sotaaraana.m dhamma.m desessati.
Exalted One / today / [to] hearers / Dhamma / will teach
Today, the Exalted One will teach the Dhamma to the hearers.
2. Bhikkhavo bhagavanta.m vandi.msu.
monks / [to] Exalted One / bowed
The monks bowed to the Exalted One.
3. Cakkhumanto sadaa bhaanumanta.m passanti.
possessors of eyes / always / sun / see
Those who have eyes always see the sun.
4. Tadaa balavanto ve.luuhi arii pahari.msu.
then / powerful people / [with] bamboos / enemies / beat
Then those who have power beat the enemies with the bamboos.
5. Kadaa tumhe dhanavanta.m passissatha?
when / you / rich one / will see
When will you see the rich one?
6. Suve maya.m siilavante vandissaama.
tomorrow / we / virtuous ones / will bow
Tomorrow we will bow to the virtuous ones.
7. Bhagavanto sabba~n~nuno bhavanti.
Exalted Ones / omniscient / are
The Exalted Ones are omniscient.
8. Viduno kulavato geha.m gacchi.msu.
wise men / [of] high caste one / house / went
The wise men went to the house of the high caste one.
9. Himavati kapayo ca pakkhino ca isayo ca vasi.msu.
[in] Himalayas / monkeys / and / birds / and / hermits / lived
Monkeys, birds and hermits lived in the Himalayas.
10. Pu~n~navato nattaa buddhimaa bhavi.
[of] fortunate one / grandson / intelligent / was
The grandson of the fortunate one was intelligent.
11. Kulavata.m bhaataro dhanavanto na bhavi.msu.
[of] high caste ones / brothers / rich / not / were
The brothers of the high caste ones were not rich.
12. Aha.m Himavantamhi phalavante rukkhe passi.m.
I / [on] Himalaya / fruitful / trees / saw
I saw the fruitful trees on the Himalaya.
13. Puraa maya.m Himavanta.m gacchimha.
former days / we / [to] Himalaya / went
We used to go to the Himalaya in former days.
14. Hiiyo saaya.m bandhumanto yasavata.m gaama.m gacchi.msu.
yesterday / in the evening / with many relations / [of] famous ones
/ village / went
Yesterday evening, those with many relations went to the village of the famous ones.
15. Vi~n~nuno pacchaa pabhuno gehe vasissanti.
wise men / afterwards / [of] over-lord / [in] house / will dwell
Afterwards, the wise men will dwell in the house of the over-lord.
Exercise 10-B: Translate into Pali.
1. Sons of the wealthy are not always wise.
puttaa / dhanavata.m / na bhavanti / sadaa / pa~n~navanto
Dhanavata.m puttaa sadaa pa~n~navanto na bhavanti.
2. One who has relations does not fear enemies.
bandhumaa / na bhaayati / ariibhi
Bandhumaa ariibhi na bhaayati.
3. The brothers of the virtuous will bow down to the Exalted One.
bhaataro / siilavantassa / vandissanti / bhagavanta.m
Siilavantassa bhaataro bhagavanta.m vandissanti.
4. Your grandsons are not intelligent.
tava / nattaaro / na bhavanti / buddhimanto
Tava nattaaro buddhimanto na bhavanti.
5. Tomorrow the wise men will preach to the men of high caste.
suve / pa~n~navanto / desessanti / kulavata.m
Suve kulavata.m pa~n~navanto desessanti.
6. Today the rich will go to a mountain in the Himalayas.
ajja / dhanavanto / gamissanti / giri.m / himavantesu
Ajja dhanavanto Himavantesu giri.m gamissanti.
7. There are fruitful trees, lions and leopards in the garden of the rich man.
bhavanti / phalavanto / rukkhaa / siihaa / ca / diipayo / aaraame /
Phalavanto rukkhaa ca siihaa ca diipayo ca dhanavantassa aaraame bhavanti.
8. When will the famous men come to our village?
kadaa / aagamissanti / yasavanto / amha.m / gama.m
Kadaa yasavanto amha.m gama.m aagamissanti.
9. The sons of the powerful will always be famous.
puttaa / balavantaana.m / bhavissanti / sadaa / yasavanto
Balavantaana.m puttaa sadaa yasavanto bhavissanti.
10. Once, the wise man's brother struck the virtuous man.
ekadaa / pa~n~navantassa / bhaataa / pahari / siilavanta.m
Ekadaa pa~n~navantassa bhaataa siilavanta.m pahari.
11. Formerly I lived in the house of the over-lord.
puraa / aha.m / vasi.m / gehe / pabhuno
Puraa aha.m pabhuno gehe vasi.m.
12. Yesterday there were elephants and horses in the garden.
hiiyo / bhavi.msu / hatthino / ca / assaa / aaraame
Hiiyo hatthino ca assaa ca aaraame bhavi.msu.
13. Now the man of high caste will buy a lion and a deer.
idaani / kulavaa / ki.nissati / siha.m / ca / miga.m
Idaani kulavaa siha.m ca miga.m ca ki.nissati.
14. Our fathers were mindful.
amha.m / pitaro / bhavi.msu / satimanto
Amha.m pitaro satimanto bhavi.msu.
15. Once we saw the sun from the rich man's garden.
ekadaa / maya.m / passimha /bhaanumanta.m / dhanavantassa /
Ekadaa maya.m dhanavantassa aaraamamhaa bhaanumanta.m passimha.