The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 11-A: Translate into English.
1. Vanitaayo naavaahi ga`ngaaya.m gacchantu.
women / [with] boats / [on] river / let them go
Let the women go with boats on the river.
2. Tva.m saalaaya.m ka~n~naana.m odana.m pacaahi.
you / [in] hall / [for] girls / rice / cookest thou
Cook the rice in the hall for the girls!
3. Sace tumhe nahaayissatha, aham pi nahaayissaami.
if / you / will bathe / I / also / will bathe
If you will bathe, I will also bathe.
4. Yadi so sabhaaya.m katheyya, aham pi katheyyaami.
if / he / [in] assembly / would say / I / also / would say
If he would speak in the assembly, I would also speak .
5. La`nkaaya bhuupatino senaayo jayantu.
[of] Lanka / [of] king / armies / may they be victorious
May Lanka's king's armies be victorious.
6. Devataa vasudhaaya.m manusse rakkhantu.
deities / [on] earth / men / let them protect
Let the deities protect the men on earth.
7. Sace te vaaluka.m aahareyyu.m aha.m (ta.m) ki.nissaami.
if / they / sand / would bring / I / it / will buy
If they would bring the sand, I will buy it.
8. Tumhe daarikaaya hatthe maala.m .thapetha.
you / [of] girl / [in] hand / garland / keep
Keep the garland in the girl's hand!
9. Saalaaya chaayaa vasudhaaya patati.
[of] hall / shadow / [on] earth / falls
The shadow of the hall falls on the earth.
10. Coraa ma~njuusaayo guha.m hari.msu.
thieves / boxes / [to] cave / carried
The thieves carried the boxes to the cave.
11. Ka~n~naayo godha.m sakkharaahi pahari.msu.
girls / iguana / [with] gravels / struck
The girls struck the iguana with gravel.
12. Hatthii so.n.daaya taruno saakha.m chindi.
elephant / [with] trunk / [of] tree / branch / cut
The elephant cut the branch of the tree with his trunk.
13. Sace maya.m guhaaya.m sayeyyaama pasavo no haneyyu.m.
if / we / [in] cave / would sleep / beasts / us / kill
If we would sleep in the cave, the beasts would kill us.
14. Tumhe mittehi saha sura.m maa pivatha.
you / friends / with / alcohol / not / drink
Don't drink liquor with friends.
15. Maya.m parisaaya saddhi.m odana.m bhu~njissaama.
we / retinue / with / rice / will eat
We will eat rice with the retinue.
16. Bhaanumato pabhaa sindhumhi bhavatu.
[of] sun / light / [on] sea / let it be
May the sunlight be on the sea.
17. Daarikaa ka~n~naaya naasaaya.m sakkhara.m pakkhipi.
girl / [of] girl / [in] nose / gravel / put
The girl put gravel in the nose of the girl.
18. Tumhe parisaahi saddhi.m mama katha.m su.naatha.
you / retinue / with / my / speech / listen
Listen to my speech with the retinue.
19. Amhaaka.m ammaa dolaaya gaama.m agacchi.
our / mother / [by] palanquin / [to] village / went
Our mother went to the village by palanquin.
20. Sace tva.m va.lava.m ki.neyyaasi, aha.m assa.m ki.nissaami.
if / you / mare / buy / I / horse / will buy
I you buy a mare, I will buy a horse.
Exercise 11-B: Translate into Pali.
1. The robber carried the box to the cave.
coro / hari / ma~njuusa.m / guha.m
Coro ma~njuusa.m guha.m hari.
2. Go to your village with your mothers.
tumhe gacchatha / tumha.m / gaama.m / saddhi.m / tumha.m / ammaabhi
Tumhe tumha.m ammaabhi saddhi.m tumha.m gaama.m gacchatha.
3. Let the women go along the river in a ship.
vanitaayo / gacchantu / ga`ngaaya.m / naavaayaaya
Vanitaayo naavaayaaya ga`ngaaya.m gacchantu.
4. If he buys a deer I will sell my mare.
sace / so / ki.neyya / miga.m / aha.m / vikki.nissaami / mama /
Sace so miga.m ki.neyya, aha.m mama va.lava.m vikki.nissaami.
5. We heard the speech of the girl at the meeting.
maya.m / su.nimha / katha.m / ka~n~naaya / sabhaaya.m
Maya.m sabhaaya.m ka~n~naaya katha.m su.nimha.
6. We utter words with our tongues.
maya.m / bhaasaama / vacaa / amha.m / jivhaabhi
Maya.m amha.m jivhaabhi vacaa bhaasaama.
7. Do not strike the iguana with pebbles.
maa paharatha / godha.m / sakkharaabhi
Tumhe sakkharaabhi godha.m maa paharatha.
8. May my following be victorious in the Island of La`nkaa.
mama / parisaa / jayatu / diipe / La`nkaaya
Mama parisaa La`nkaaya diipe jayatu.
9. May our offerings be to the wise.
amha.m / puujaayo / bhavantu / pa~n~navata.m
Amha.m puujaayo pa~n~navata.m bhavantu.
10. Adorn the maiden's neck with a garland.
ala`nkarohi / ka~n~naaya / giiva.m / maalaaya
Tumhe ka~n~naaya giiva.m maalaaya ala`nkarohi.
11. The shadow of the creeper falls on the earth.
chaayaa / lataaya / patati / vasudhaaya.m
Lataaya chaayaa vasudhaaya.m patati.
12. The woman brought a scale from the hall.
vanitaa / aahari / tula.m / saalaaya
Vanitaa saalaaya tula.m aahari.
13. Do not drink liquor with girls and boys.
maa pivatha / sura.m / saha / daarikaahi / ca / kumaarehi
Tumhe daarikaahi ca kumaarehi ca saha sura.m maa pivatha.
14. If you will cook rice I will give food to the woman.
sace / tva.m / paceyyaasi / odana.m / aha.m / dadissaami /
aahaara.m / vanitaaya
Sace tva.m odana.m paceyyaasi, aha.m vanitaaya aahaara.m dadissaami.
15. May the deities protect our sons and grandsons.
devaa / rakkhantu / amhaaka.m / putte / ca / nattaaro
Devaa amhaaka.m putte ca nattaaro ca rakkhantu.
16. The girls brought sand from the street.
ka~n~naayo / aahari.msu / vaaluka.m / visikhaaya
Ka~n~naayo visikhaaya vaaluka.m aahari.msu.
17. My following cut the branches of the tree.
mama / parisaa / chindi / saakhaayo / rukkhassa
Mama parisaa rukkhassa saakhaayo chindi.
18. Let the elephant bring a stone to the street.
hatthii / aaharatu / sila.m / visikha.m
Hatthii visikha.m sila.m aaharatu.
19. The beasts will kill him if he will sit in the cave.
pasavo / mareyyu.m / ta.m / sace / so / nisideyya / guhaaya.m
Pasavo ta.m mareyyu.m sace so guhaaya.m nisideyya.
20. There are gems in the maiden's box.
bhavanti / ma.nayo / ka~n~naaya / ma~njuusaaya.m
Ma.nayo ka~n~naaya ma~njuusaaya.m bhavanti.