The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 12-A: Translate into English.
1. Braahma.nii kumaariyaa saddhi.m nadiya.m nahaatvaa geha.m agami.
Brahman woman / girl / with / [in] river / having bathed / [to]
house / went
Having bathed in the river with the girl, the Brahman woman went to the house.
2. Naariyo odana.m pacitvaa bhu~njitvaa kukku.tiinam pi ada.msu.
women / rice / having cooked / having eaten / [to] hens / also / gave
Having cooked and eaten the rice, the women gave it also to the hens.
3. Kumaariyo sakhiihi saha vaapi.m gantvaa nahaayissanti.
girls / female friends / with / tank / having gone / will bathe
Having gone to the tank with their female friends, the girls will bathe.
4. Raajinii diipaa nikkhamma naavaaya gamissati.
queen / [out of] island / having come / [by] ship / will go
Having come out of the island, the queen will go by ship.
5. Vaanarii itthiyo passitvaa taru.m aaruyha nisiidi.
she-monkey / women / having seen / tree / having ascended / sat down
Having seen the women, the she-monkey ascended the tree and sat down.
6. Taru.ni hatthehi saakha.m aadaaya aaka.d.dhi.
young woman / [with] hands / branch / having taken / dragged
The young woman took the branch with her hands and dragged it.
7. Tumhe vaapi.m taritvaa a.tavi.m pavisatha.
you / tank / having crossed / forest / enter
Having crossed the tank, you enter the forest.
8. Diipayo a.taviisu .thatvaa migii maaretvaa khaadanti.
leopards / [in] forest / having stood / deer / having killed / eat
The leopards stay in the forest, and kill and eat deers.
9. Yuvatiina.m pitaro a.taviyaa aagamma bhu~njitvaa sayi.msu.
[of] maidens / fathers / [from] forest / having come /
having eaten / slept
The maidens' fathers, came from the forest, ate and slept.
10. Hatthinii pokkhara.ni.m oruyha nahaatvaa kadaliyo khaadi.
she-elephant / [to] pond / having descended / having
bathed / plantains / ate
The she-elephant descended to the pond, bathed and ate plantains.
11. Siihii migi.m maaretvaa susuuna.m dadissati.
lioness / deer / having killed / [to] young ones / will
Having killed the deer, the lioness will give it to the young ones.
12. Gaaviyo bhuumiya.m sayitvaa u.t.thahitvaa a.tavi.m pavisi.msu.
cows / [on] ground / having slept / having stood up /
forest / entered
The cows slept on the ground, stood up and entered the forest.
13. Mama maatulaanii puttassa dundubhi.m aanessati.
my / aunt / [for] son / drum / will bring
My aunt will bring a drum for the son.
14. Saku.nii mahiya.m aahi.n.ditvaa aahaara.m labhati.
bird / [on] earth / having wandered / food / receives
Having wandered on the earth, the bird receives food.
15. Kaakii taruno saakhaasu nisiiditvaa ravitvaa aakaasa.m u.d.dessanti.
she-crow / [of] tree / [on] branches / having sat / having
crowed / [in] sky / will fly
Having sat on the tree's branches and crowed, the she-crow will fly in the sky.
Exercise 12-B: Translate into Pali.
1. Having killed a deer in the forest the lioness ate it.
maaretvaa / miga.m / a.taviyaa / siihii / khaadi / (ta.m)
Siihii a.taviyaa miga.m maaretvaa khaadi.
2. Having gone to the village the brahman woman bought a hen yesterday.
gantvaa / gama.m / braahma.nii / ki.ni / kukku.ti.m / hiiyo
Braahma.nii gaama.m gantvaa hiiyo kukku.ti.m ki.ni.
3. The damsels went to the tank, and having bathed and played there, came home.
kumaariyo / gantvaa / vapi.m / nahaatvaa / kii.litvaa / tattha / aagacchi.msu /
Kumaariyo vapi.m gantvaa, tattha nahaatvaa kii.litvaa geha.m aagacchi.msu.
4. The she-monkey, having climbed the tree, sat on a branch.
vaanarii / aaruyha / rukkha.m / nisiidi / saakhaaya.m
Vaanarii rukkha.m aaruyha saakhaaya.m nisiidi.
5. The brothers of the girl, having played and bathed, ate rice.
bhaataro / kumaariyaa / kii.litvaa / nahaatvaa / bhu~nji.msu / odana.m
Kumaariyaa bhaataro kii.litvaa nahaatvaa odana.m bhu~nji.msu.
6. Sisters of the boy, having bought garlands, adorned the neck of the queen.
bhaginiyo / kumaaraana.m / ki.nitvaa / maalaayo / ala`nkari.msu /
giiva.m / raajiniyaa
Kumaaraana.m bhaginiyo maalaayo ki.nitvaa raajiniyaa giiva.m ala`nkari.msu.
7. Having crossed the river, the she-elephant ate plantain (trees) in the garden of a woman.
taritvaa / ga`nga.m / hatthinii / khaadi / kadaliyo / aaraame / nariyaa
Hatthinii ga`nga.m taritvaa nariyaa aaraamee kadaliyo khaadi.
8. Having brought a boat, our sisters will cross the tank and enter the forest.
aaharitvaa / do.ni.m / amha.m / bhaginiyo / taritvaa / vapi.m /
pavisissanti / a.tavi.m
Amha.m bhaginiyo do.ni.m aaharitvaa vapi.m taritvaa a.tavi.m pavisissanti.
9. Having cooked rice for the father, the maiden went to the pond with her
pacitvaa / odana.m / pitussa / ka~n~naa / gacchi /
pokkarani.m / saha / sakhiihi
Ka~n~naa pitussa odana.m pacitvaa sakhiihi saha pokkarani.m gacchi.
10. Having come from the wood, the damsel's father fell on the ground.
aagamma / a.taviyaa / kumaariyaa / pitaa / pati /
Kumaariyaa pitaa a.taviyaa aagamma bhuumiya.m pati.
11.The cows and oxen of the millionaire, having drunk from the tank, entered
dhenuyo / ca / go.naa / se.t.thino / pivitvaa / vaapiyaa /
pavisi.msu / a.tavi.m
Se.t.thino dhenuyo ca go.naa ca vaapiyaa pivitvaa a.tavi.m pavisi.msu.
12.Having bought a drum, the woman's sister gave (it) to her friend.
ki.nitvaa / dundubhi.m / vanitaaya / bhaginii / dadi /
Vanitaaya bhaginii dundubhi.m ki.nitvaa sakhiyaa dadi.
13.Having gone to the forest along the river, our brothers killed a lioness.
gantvaa / a.tavi.m / nadi.m anu / amha.m / bhaataro /
maaresu.m / siihi.m
Amha.m bhaataro nadi.m anu a.tavi.m gantvaa siihi.m maaresu.m.
14.The queen, having come to the king's tank, bathed there with her retinue
and walked in the garden.
raajinii / aagamma / bhuupaalassa / vaapi.m / nahaatvaa /
tattha / saha / parisaaya / acari / aaraame
Raajinii bhuupaalassa vaapi.m aagamma parisaaya saha tattha nahaatvaa aaraame
15.The she-crow, having sat on the branch slept there after crowing.
kaakii / nisiiditvaa / saakhaaya /sayi / tattha / ravitvaa
Kaakii saakhaaya nisiiditvaa ravitvaa tattha sayi.