The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 14-A: Translate into English.
1. Dhanavanto bhaataraana.m dhana.m daatu.m na icchanti.
rich ones / [to] brothers / wealth / to give / not / wish
The rich ones do not wish to give wealth to the brothers.
2. Daana.m datvaa siila.m rakkhitvaa sagge nibbattitu.m sakkonti.
alms / having given / precepts / having observed / [in]
heaven / to be born / are able
Having given alms and observed precepts (they) are able to be born in heaven.
3. Kumaarii alaata.m aanetvaa bhatta.m pacitu.m aggi.m jaalessati.
girl / firebrand / having brought / rice / to cook / fire
/ will light
Having brought the firebrand to cook the rice, the girl will light the fire.
4. Naariyo nagaraa nikkhamma udaka.m paatu.m vaapiyaa kuula.m gacchi.msu.
women / [from] city / having come out / water / to drink /
[of] tank / bank / went
Having come out from the city to drink water, the women went to the bank of the
5. Nattaaro ara~n~naa phalaani aaharitvaa khaaditu.m aarabhi.msu.
grandsons / [from] forest / fruits / having brought / to
eat / began
Having brought fruits from the forest, the grandsons began to eat.
6. Siilavaa isi dhamma.m desetu.m pii.the nisiidi.
virtuous / sage / doctrine / to preach / [on] chair / sat
The virtuous sage sat down on the chair to preach the Dhamma.
7. Coro aayudhena paharitvaa mama pituno a`nguli.m chindi.
thief / [with] weapon / having struck / my / [of] father /
finger / cut
Having struck with the weapon, the thief cut my father's finger.
8. Yuvatiyo padumaani ocinitu.m nadi.m gantvaa kuule nisiidi.msu.
maidens / lotuses / to collect / river / having gone /
bank / sat down
The maidens went to the river to collect some lotuses and sat down on the bank.
9. Maya.m chattaani aadaaya susaana.m gantvaa pupphaani ocinissaama.
we / umbrellas / having taken / cemetery / having gone /
flowers / will gather
Having taken the umbrellas and gone to the cemetery we will gather the flowers.
10. Ka~n~naa vattha.m aanetu.m aapa.na.m gamissati.
girl / cloth / to bring / market / will go
The girl will go to the market to bring the cloth.
11. Tumhe vana.m gantvaa gaaviina.m daatu.m pa.n.naani aaharatha.
you / [to] forest / having gone / [to] cows / to give /
leaves / bring
Having gone to the forest you bring leaves to give to the cows.
12. Maya.m locanehi ruupaanii passitvaa sukha.m dukkha.m ca labhaama.
we / [with] eyes / images / having seen / comfort / pain /
and / get
Having seen the images with the eyes, we get comfort and pain.
13. Tva.m sotena su.nitu.m ghaa.ne.na ghaayitu.m ca sakkosi.
you / [with] ear / to hear / [with] nose / to smell / and
/ are able
You are able to hear with the ear and smell with the nose.
14. Kukku.tiyaa a.n.daani rukkhassa muule santi.
[of] hen / eggs / [of] tree / [at] root / are
The hen's eggs are at the root of the tree.
15. Viduno amata.m labhitvaa mara.na.m na bhaayanti.
wise men / ambrosia / having gotten / death / not / fear
Having gotten the ambrosia the wise men don't fear death.
16. Manussaa cittena cintetvaa pu~n~naani karissanti.
human beings / [with] mind / having thought / good actions
/ will do
Having thought with the mind, human beings will do merits.
17. Tumhe dhamma.m sotu.m aaraama.m gantvaa puline nisiidatha.
you / doctrine / to hear / [to] monastery / having gone /
[on] sand / will sit
Having gone to the monastery to listen to the Dhamma, you sit down on the sand.
18. Dhanavanto suva.n.na.m datvaa ~naa.na.m laddhu.m na sakkonti.
rich ones / gold / having given / wisdom / to get / not /
Having given gold, the rich ones are not able to get wisdom.
19. Daarako chatta.m ga.nhitu.m sopaa.na.m aaruhi.
boy / umbrella / to take / stair / ascended
The boy ascended the stair to take the umbrella.
20. Mama bhaginii pu~n~na.m labhitu.m siila.m rakkhissati.
my / sister / merit / to get / precept / will observe
My sister will observe the precept to get merit.
Exercise 14-B: Translate into Pali.
1. The boys went to the foot of the tree to eat fruits.
kumaaraa / gacchi.msu / muula.m / rukkhassa / khaaditu.m /
Kumaaraa phalaani khaaditu.m rukkhassa muula.m gacchi.msu.
2. The maiden climbed the tree to gather flowers.
kumaarii / aaruhi / rukkha.m / ocinitu.m / pupphaani
Kumaarii pupphaani ocinitu.m rukkha.m aaruhi.
3. I went into a house to bring an umbrella and a cloth.
aha.m / gacchi.m / geha.m / aaharitu.m / chatta.m / ca /
Aha.m chatta.m ca vattha.m ca aaharitu.m geha.m gacchi.m.
4. The girl asked for a fire-brand to make a fire.
kumarii / pucchi / alaata.m / kaatu.m / aggi.m
Kumarii aggi.m kaatu.m alaata.m pucchi.
5. We are able to see objects (=forms) with our eyes.
maya.m / sakkoma / passitu.m / ruupaani / amhaaka.m / locanebhi
Maya.m amhaaka.m locanebhi ruupaani passitu.m sakkoma.
6. You smell with your nose and hear with your ears.
tva.m / ghaayasi / ghaanena / ca / su.naasi / sotehi
Tva.m ghaanena ghaayasi sotehi su.naasi ca.
7. Having gone to hear the doctrine, they sat on the sand.
gantvaa / sotu.m / dhamma.m / te / nisiidi.msu / puline
Te dhamma.m sotu.m gantvaa puline nisiidi.msu.
8. People are not able to purchase wisdom with (their) gold.
manussaa / na / sakkonti / ki.nitu.m / ~naa.na.m /
Manussaa suva.n.nena ~naa.na.m ki.nitu.m na sakkonti.
9. Having divided his wealth the rich man gave (them) to his sons and
bhaajetvaa / dhana.m / dhanavaa / adadi / tassa / puttaana.m / ca / dhiitaraana.m
Dhanavaa dhana.m bhaajetvaa tassa puttaana.m dhiitaraana.m ca adadi.
10. The maidens went out of the city (in order) to bathe in the river.
yuvatiyo / nikkhami.msu / nagaraa / nahaayitu.m / nadiya.m
Yuvatiyo nadiya.m nahaayitu.m nagaraa nikkhami.msu.
11. There were umbrellas in the hands of the women on the road.
bhavi.msu / chattaani / hatthesu / vanitaana.m / magge
Magge vanitaana.m hatthesu chattani bhavi.msu.
12. Having struck her with a weapon, the enemy wounded the hand of my
paharitvaa / aayudhena / ari / vanita.m akasi / hatthe /
mama / sassuyaa
Ari aayudhena paharitvaa mama sassuyaa hatthe va.nita.m akaasi.
13. Having gone to the garden they brought flowers and fruits for the boys.
gantvaa / aaraama.m / te / aahari.msu / pupphaani / ca /
phalaani / kumaaraana.m
Te aaraama.m gantvaa kumaaraana.m pupphaani ca phalaani ca aahari.msu.
14. He will go to the forest in order to bring leaves and grass for the cows.
so / gamissati / vana.m / aaharitu.m / pa.n.naani / ca /
ti.na.m / gaaviina.m
So gaaviina.m pa.n.naani ca ti.na.m ca aaharitu.m vana.m gamissati.
15. The girls and boys brought lotuses from the pond (in order) to offer to
kumaariyo / ca / kumaraa / aahari.msu / padumaani /
pokkhara.niyaa / puujetu.m / cetiyaaya
Kumaariyo ca kumaraa ca cetiyaaya puujetu.m pokkhara.niyaa padumaani aahari.msu.
16. Having bathed in the tank, our sisters and brothers came home to eat and
nahaatvaa / vaapiya.m / amha.m / bhaginiyo / ca / bhaataro
/ aagacchi.msu / geha.m / bhu~njitu.m / ca / sayitu.m
Amha.m bhaginiyo ca bhaataro ca vaapiya.m nahaatvaa bhu~njitu.m sayitu.m ca geha.m
17. Having seen a leopard the boy ran across the garden and crossed the
passitvaa / diipi.m / kumaaro / dhaavitvaa / tiriya.m /
aaraame / tari / nadi.m
Kumaaro diipi.m passitvaa aaraame tiriya.m dhaavitvaa nadi.m tari.
18. You get merit through charity and virtue.
tva.m / labhasi / pu~n~na.m / daanena / ca / siilena
Tva.m daanena ca siilena ca pu~n~na.m labhasi.
19. Having grazed (eaten grass) in the cemetery, my aunt's cows went to the
tank in order to drink water.
khaaditvaa / ti.na.m / susaane / mama / maatulaaniyaa /
dhenuyo / gacchi.msu / vaapi.m / jala.m / paatu.m
Mama maatulaaniyaa dhenuyo susaane ti.na.m khaaditvaa jala.m paatu.m vaapi.m
20. The maidens bought flowers in order to make garlands for (their) sisters.
yuvatiyo / ki.ni.msu / pupphaani / kaatu.m / maalaayo /
Yuvatiyo bhaginiina.m maalaayo kaatu.m pupphaani ki.ni.msu.