The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 17-A: Translate into English.
1. Aya.m siiho tamhaa vanamhaa nikkhamma imasmi.m magge .thatvaa eka.m itthi.m maaresi.
this / lion / [from] that / forest / having come out / [on] this /
path / having stood / one / woman / killed
This lion came out of that forest, stood on this path and killed one woman.
2. So taasa.m yuvatiina.m taani vatthaani vikki.nitva taasa.m santikaa muula.m labhissati.
he / [to] those / maidens / those / cloths / having sold / money /
[from] them / will get
Having sold those cloths to those women, he will get money from them.
3. Imissaa dhiitaro tamhaa vanamhaa imaani phalaani aahari.msu, a~n~naa naariyo taani khaaditu.m ga.nhi.msu.
[of] this / daughters / [from] that / forest / these fruits / brought
/ other / women / them / to eat / took
The daughters of this (woman) brought these fruits from that forest, other women took them to eat.
4. Imaa sabbaa yuvatiyoo ta.m aaraama.m gantvaa dhamma.m sutvaa Buddha.m padumehi puujessanti.
these / all / women / that / monastery / having gone / having heard /
doctrine / Buddha / [with] lotuses / will honour
Having gone to that monastery and having heard the doctrine, all these women will honour the Buddha with lotuses.
5. Ime manussaa yaani pu~n~nani vaa paapaani vaa karonti taani te
these / men / who / good actions / or / sins / do / those things /
them / follow
Whatever (yaani) good or bad actions these (ime) men do, they (taani, the
actions) follow them (te, the men).
6. Tassaa ka~n~naaya maataa dakkhi.naaya disaaya ima.m gaama.m aagantvaa idha cira.m vasissati.
[of] that / girl / mother / [in] southern / direction / [to] this /
village / having come / here / for a long time / will live
Having come to this village in the southern direction, the mother of that girl will live here for a long time.
7. Tassa nattaa imassa bhaataraa saddhi.m Ko.lambanagara.m gantvaa taani bhan.daani vikki.nissati.
his / grandson / of this / brother / with / [to] Colombo/ having gone /
those / goods / will sell
Having gone with the brother of this (man) to Colombo, his grandson will sell those goods.
8. Taa naariyo etaasa.m sabbaasa.m kumaariina.m hatthesu padumaani .thapesu.m, taa taani haritvaa cetiya.m puujesu.m.
those / women / [of] these / [of] all / [of] girls / [in] hands / lotuses /
placed / they / them / having carried / [to] shrine / offered
Those women placed the lotuses in the hands of all these girls; they carried them and offered (them) to the shrine.
9. Tassaa raajiniyaa etaa daasiyo imehi rukkhehi pupphaani ocinitvaa imaa maalaayo kari.msu.
[of] that / queen / these / woman slaves / [from] these / [from] trees
/ flowers / having collected / these / garlands / made
Having collected the flowers from these trees, these woman slaves of that queen made these garlands.
10. Kesa.m so ima.m dhana.m datvaa sukha.m labhissati?
to whom / he / this / wealth / having given / will get / happiness
To whom will he give this wealth and get happiness?
11. Yo magge gacchati, tassa putto sura.m pivitvaa ettha sayati.
who / [on] road / goes / his / son / alcohol / having drunk / here /
The one who goes on the road, his son drank alcohol and slept here.
12. Ke ta.m khetta.m gantvaa ti.na.m aaharitvaa imaasa.m gaaviina.m datvaa khiira.m labhitu.m icchanti?
who / that / [to] field / having gone / grass / having
brought / [to] these / [to] cows / having given / milk / to get / wish
Having gone to that field, brought the grass and given it to these cows, who wish to get milk?
Exercise 17-B: Translate into Pali.
1. A certain man having gone to that cemetery gathered those flowers and brought them here.
a~n~nataro / puriso / gantvaa / ta.m / susaana.m / ocinitvaa / taani /
pupphaani / aahari / te / ettha
A~n~nataro puriso ta.m susaana.m gantvaa taani pupphaani ocinitvaa ettha te aahari.
2. This lioness having come out from that forest killed a cow in this place.
aya.m / siihii / nikkhamma / tamhaa / vanamhaa / dhenu.m / maaresi /
imasmi.m / .thaanasmi.m
Aya.m siihii tamhaa vanamhaa nikkhamma imasmi.m .thaanasmi.m dhenu.m
3. The husband of that woman bought these clothes from that market and gave them to his grandsons.
bhattaa / tassaa / vanitaaya / ki.nitvaa / imaani / vatthaani / tamhaa
/ aapa.namhaa / adadi / tassa / nattaaraana.m
Tassaa vanitaaya bhattaa tamhaa aapa.namhaa imaani vatthaani ki.nitvaa tassa nattaaraana.m
4. Whose servants will go to Colombo to buy goods for you and me?
Lit. The servants of whom will go to Colombo to buy goods for you and me?
upa.t.thaakaa / kassa* / gamissanti / Ko.lambanagara.m / ki.nitu.m /
bha.n.daani / tava / ca / mama
Kassa upa.t.thaakaa tava mama ca bha.n.daani ki.nitu.m Ko.lambanagara.m
5. Tomorrow his brothers will go to that forest and collect honey and fruits.
suve / tassa / bhaataro / gantva / ta.m / vana.m / ocinissanti /
madhu.m / ca / phalaani
Suve tassa bhaataro ta.m vana.m gantva madhu.m ca phalaani ca ocinissanti.
6. Her sisters went to that field (in order) to bring grass for these cows.
tassaa / bhaginiyo / gacchi.msu / ta.m / khetta.m / aaharitu.m /
ti.na.m / imaasa.m / dhenuuna.m
Tassaa bhaginiyo imaasa.m dhenuuna.m ti.na.m aaharitu.m ta.m khetta.m
7. I got these lotuses and flowers from a certain woman of that village.
aha.m / imaani / padumaani / ca / pupphaani / a~n~nataraaya / vanitaaya
/ tassa / gaamassa
Aha.m tassa gaamassa a~n~nataraaya vanitaaya imaani padumaani ca pupphaani ca
8. Today all maidens of this city will go to that river and will bathe in it.
ajja / sabbaa / ka~n~naayo / imassa / nagarassa / gantvaa / ta.m /
nadi.m / nahaayissanti / tassa.m
Ajja imassa nagarassa sabbaa ka~n~naayo ta.m nadi.m gantvaa tassa.m
9. They brought those goods to a merchant in that market.
te / aahari.msu / taani / bha.ndaani / vaa.nijassa / tamhi / aapa.namhi
Te tamhi aapanamhi vaa.nijassa taani bha.ndaani aahari.msu.
10. Having sold those cows to the merchants, they bought clothes, garlands and umbrellas with that money.
vikki.nitvaa / taayo / dhenuyo / vaa.nijaana.m / te / ki.ni.msu /
vatthaani / maalaayo / ca / chattaani / tena / muulena
Vaa.nijaana.m taayo dhenuyo vikki.nitvaa te tena muulena vatthaani ca maalaayo ca chattaani ca
11. Who are those men that killed a lion yesterday in this forest?
ke / santi / te / naraa / ye / maaresu.m / siiha.m / hiiyo / asmi.m
Ke te naraa (santi) ye asmi.m vanasmi.m hiiyo siiha.m maaresu.m?
Ye asmi.m vanasmi.m hiiyo siiha.m maaresu.m, ke te naraa (santi)?
12. Which woman stole her garland and ran through this street?
kaa / vanitaa / coretvaa / tassaa / maala.m / dhaavi / imaaya /
Kaa vanitaa tassaa maala.m coretvaa imaaya visikhaaya dhaavi?
* If one interprets the 'whose' as plural, then it would be 'kesa.m'. See Warder, p.70 and p.73 for the differences between a relative pronoun and an interrogative one.