The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 26-A: Translate into English.
1. Ka~n~naaya odano paciiyati.
[by] girl / rice / is cooked
The rice is cooked by the girl.
2. Te go.naa daasehi pahariiyanti.
these / oxen / [by] slaves / are beaten
These oxen are beaten by slaves.
3. Tva.m balinaa purisena aaka.d.dhiiyasi.
you / strong / [by] man / are dragged
You are dragged by a strong man.
4. Maya.m amhaaka.m ariihi maariiyaama.
we / our / [by] enemies / are killed
We are killed by our enemies.
5. Te migaa taaya daasiyaa bandhiiyanti.
those / deer / [by] that / [by] slave / are tied
Those deer are tied by her slave.
6. Iminaa va.d.dhakinaa imasmi.m gaame bahuuni gehaani kariiyanti.
this / [by] carpenter / this / [in] village / many / houses / are built
Many houses are built in this village by this carpenter.
7. Tumhe tasmi.m gaame manussehi bandhiiyatha.
you / that / [in] village / [by] men / are tied
You are tied by men in that village.
8. Amhaaka.m bha.n.daani tesa.m daasehi gaama.m hariiyanti.
our / goods / their / [by] slaves / [to] village / are carried
Our goods are carried by their slaves to the village.
9. A.t.thahi vaa.nijehi cattaaro assaa nagara.m aahariiyanti.
eight / [by] merchants / four / horses / [to] city / are brought
Four horses are brought to the city by eight merchants.
10. Maya.m amhaaka.m dhiitarehi nattaarehi ca vandiiyaama.
we / our / [by] daughters / [by] grandsons / and / are worshipped
We are worshipped by our daughters and grandsons.
11. Ta.m mahanta.m khetta.m pa~ncahi kassakehi kasiiyati.
that / big / field / five / [by] farmers / is ploughed
That big field is ploughed by five farmers.
12. Vanitaaya bahuuni vatthaani tassa.m pokkhara.niya.m dhoviiyanti.
[by] woman / a lot of / clothes / that / [in] pond / are washed
A lot of clothes are washed by the woman in that pond.
13. Se.t.thinaa bahunna.m yaacakaana.m daana.m diiyati.
[by] millionaire / many / [to] beggars / charity / is given
Charity is given to many beggars by the millionaire.
14. Tasmi.m aaraame vasantehi bhikkhuuhi siilaani rakkhiiyanti.
that / [in] monastery / living / [by] monks / precepts / are observed
The precepts are observed by the monks living in that monastery.
15. Chahi bhikkhuuhi pa~ncasataana.m manussaana.m dhammo desiiyati.
six / [by] monks / 500 / [to] people / the law / is preached
The law is preached to 500 people by six monks.
16. Pa~n~naasaaya manussehi tasmi.m aapa.ne bahuuni bha.n.daani ki.niiyanti.
50 / [by] people / that / [in] shop / a lot of / goods / are bought
A lot of goods are bought by 50 people in that shop.
17. Dasahi vanitaahi dvisata.m ambaana.m vikki.niiyati.
ten / [by] women / 200 / mangoes / is sold
200 mangoes are sold by ten women.
18. Daasiyaa pakko odano gahapatinaa bhu~njiiyati.
[by] slave / cooked / rice / [by] householder / is eaten
The rice cooked by the slave is eaten by the householder.
19. Magge .thito daarako tassa maatuyaa hatthehi ga.nhiiyati.
[on] path / standing / boy / his / [of] mother / [by] hands / is hold
The boy standing on the path is taken by the hands of his mother.
20. Buddhena devaana.m manussaana.m ca dhammo bhaasiiyati.
[by] Buddha / [to] gods / [to] people / and / law / is told
The Law is told to the gods and people by the Buddha.
Exercise 26-B: Translate into Pali.
1. The cows are tied with long ropes by the slaves.
dhenuyo / bandhiiyanti / diighaahi / rajjuuhi / daasehi
Dhenuyo daasehi diighaahi rajjuuhi bandhiiyanti.
2. Two black horses are bought by the two rich men.
dve / kaa.laa / assaa / ki.niiyanti / dviihi / dhanavantehi / narehi
Dve kaa.laa assaa dviihi dhanavantehi narehi ki.niiyanti.
3. You are beaten by four men.
tva.m / pahariiyasi / catuuhi / narehi
Tva.m catuuhi narehi pahariiyasi.
4. This house is built (made) by eight carpenters.
aya.m / geho / kariiyati / a.t.thahi / va.d.dhakiihi
Aya.m geho a.t.thahi va.d.dhakiihi kariiyati.
5. Nine cows are killed by two tigers in that forest.
nava / dhenuyo / maariiyanti / dviihi / diipiihi / tasmi.m / vane
Nava dhenuyo tasmi.m vane dviihi diipiihi maariiyanti.
6. Thou art dragged to the field by those powerful men.
tva.m / aaka.d.dhiiyasi / khetta.m / tehi / balavantehi / narehi
Tva.m tehi balavantehi narehi khetta.m aaka.d.dhiiyasi.
7. Many goods are sold in this village by those two merchants.
bahuuni / bha.n.daani / vikki.niiyanti / imasmi.m / gaame / tehi / dviihi / vaa.nijehi
Bahuuni bha.n.daani tehi dviihi vaa.nijehi imasmi.m gaame vikki.niiyanti.
8. You are tied fast by the people of the city.
tva.m / bandhiiyasi / siigha.m / purisehi / nagarassa
Tva.m nagarassa purisehi siigha.m bandhiiyasi.
9. The baby is carried to a physician by his mother.
kumaaro / hariiyati / vejja.m / tassa / maatuyaa
Kumaaro tassa maatuyaa vejja.m hariiyati.
10. The rice is well cooked by the second daughter of the merchant.
odano / saadhuka.m / paciiyati / dutiyaaya / dhiituyaa / vaa.nijassa
Odano vaa.nijassa dutiyaaya dhiituyaa saadhuka.m paciiyati.
11. The doctrine is preached to the people of this village by the monks residing in that monastery.
dhammo / desiiyati / naraana.m / tassa / gaamassa / bhikkhuuhi / viharantehi / tasmi.m / vihaare
Dhammo tasmi.m vihaare viharantehi bhikkhuuhi tassa gaamassa naraana.m desiiyati.
12. The rice cooked by the slave woman is eaten by her son and brothers.
odano / pakko / daasiyaa / bhu~njiiyati / tassaa / puttena / ca / bhaatarehi
Daasiyaa pakko odano tassaa puttena bhaatarehi ca bhu~njiiyati.
13. Many red clothes are washed in the tank by those women.
bahuuni / rattaani / vatthaani / dhoviiyanti / vaapiya.m / taahi / vanitaahi
Bahuuni rattaani vatthaani taahi vanitaahi vaapiya.m dhoviiyanti.
14. Three hundred mangoes are sold by six tall women.
tisata.m / ambaa / vikki.niiyanti / chahi / uccaahi / vanitaahi
Tisata.m ambaa chahi uccaahi vanitaahi vikki.niiyanti.
15. Much wealth is given to his relations by that rich man.
bahu / dhana.m / diiyati / tassa / bandhuuna.m / tena / dhanavantena / manussena
Bahu dhana.m tena dhanavantena manussena tassa bandhuuna.m diiyati.
16. All grass in this field is eaten by eight oxen and four cows.
sabba.m / ti.na.m / imasmi.m / khettasmi.m / bhu~njiiyati / a.t.thahi / go.nehi / ca / catuuhi / dhenuuhi
Imasmi.m khettasmi.m sabba.m ti.na.m a.t.thahi go.nehi catuuhi dhenuuhi ca bhu~njiiyati.
17. The Buddha is worshipped everywhere in this island.
Buddho / vandiiyati / sabbattha / imasmi.m / diipe
Buddho sabbattha imasmi.m diipe vandiiyati.
18. Two fields are ploughed by 12 farmers and six oxen.
dve / khettaani / kasiiyanti / dvaadasahi / kassakehi / ca / chahi / go.nehi
Dve khettaani dvaadasahi kassakehi chahi go.nehi ca kasiiyanti.
19. Those who went by that path are killed by a lion.
te / ye / gacchi.msu / tena / maggena / maariiyanti / ekena / siihena
Ye tena maggena gacchi.msu te ekena siihena maariiyanti.
20. The son of the man who walks on the road is beaten by that powerful man.
putto / manussessa / carantassa / magge / pahariiyati / tena / balavantena / manussena
Magge carantassa manussassa putto tena balavantena manussena pahariiyati.
Yo manusso magge carati, tassa putto tena balavantena manussena pahariiyati.
Yo magge carati, narassa putto tena balavantena purisena pahariiyati.