The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 27-A: Translate into English.
1. Ka~n~naaya bhu~niyamaana.m bhatta.m sunakhassa daatabba.m (hoti).
[by] girl / being eaten / rice / [to] dog / should be given
The rice being eaten by the girl should be given to the dog.
2. Purisena chindiyamaano rukkho gehassa upari patissati.
[by] man / being cut / tree / house / on / will fall
The tree being cut by the man will fall on the house.
3. Purisehi khettaani kasitabbaani, vanitaahi tesa.m bhatta.m pacitabba.m.
[by] men / fields / should ploughed / [by] women / their / rice / should be cooked
The fields should be ploughed by the men and their rice should be cooked by the women.
4. Puttehi dhiitarehi ca pitaro maataro ca vanditabbaa honti.
[by] sons / [by] daughters / fathers / mothers / and / should be worshipped
Mothers and fathers are to be worshipped by sons and daughters.
5. Daasena hariiyamaano asso vaa.nijaana.m vikki.nitabbo hoti.
[by] slave / being carried / horse / [to] merchants / should be sold
The horse being carried by the slave should be sold to merchants.
6. Corehi pahariiyamaanaa purisaa a~n~na.m kattabba.m adisvaa a.tavi.m dhaavi.msu.
[by] thieves / being beaten / men / and / other / should be done / not having seen / [to] forest / ran
Not having seen what else should be done, the men being beaten by the thieves ran into the forest.
7. Saarathinaa pahariiyamaano asso ratha.m aaka.d.dhanto siigha.m dhaavati.
[by] charioteer / being beaten / horse / carriage / pulling / quickly / runs
The horse pulling the carriage, being beaten by the charioteer, runs quickly.
8. Tumhehi daanaani daatabbaani, siilaani rakkhitabbaani, pu~n~naani kaatabbaani (honti).
[by] you / alms / should be given / precepts / should be observed / good actions / should be done
Alms are to be given by you, precepts are to be observed by you and good actions are to be done by you.
9. Sissehi dhammo sotabbo satthaani ugga.nhitabbaani.
[by] students / doctrine / should be heard / sciences / should be learnt
The doctrine should be heard and sciences should be learned by students.
10. Mayaa diiyamaana.m bhu~njitabba.m bhu~njitu.m bahuu yaacakaa aagacchanti.
[by] me / being given / food / to eat / many / beggars / come
Many beggars come to eat the food being given by me.
11. Vanitaa dhovitabbaani vatthaani aadaaya vitthata.m nadi.m gamissati.
woman / should be washed / clothes / having taken / wide / [to] river / will go
Having taken the clothes that should be washed the woman will go to the wide river.
12. Yuvatiyo vandaniiyaani cetiyaani disvaa ekaaya ka~n~naaya ociniyamaanaani padumaani yaaci.msu.
maidens / fit to be worshipped / shrines / having seen / [by] one girl / being collected / lotuses / asked
Having seen shrines fit to be worshipped, the maidens asked for lotuses being collected by one girl.
13. Mama bhaataa tasmi.m vane aahi.n.danto chindaniiye bahuu rukkhe passi.
my / brother / [in] that / forest / wandering / being cut / many / trees / saw
Wandering in that forest my brother saw many trees being cut.
14. Mayaa ovadiyamaano baalo vattaba.m apassanto khinno nisiidi.
[by] me / being admonished / child / that should be said / not seeing / dejected / sat down
Not seeing what should be said the child being admonished by me sat down disappointed.
Exercise 27-B: Translate into Pali.
1. The fruit that is being eaten by the boy should not be given to another one.
phala.m / bhu~njiyamaana.m / kumaarena / na daatabba.m / a~n~nassa
Kumaarena bhu~njiyamaana.m phala.m a~n~nassa na daatabba.m.
2. The field should be ploughed by the farmers with their oxen.
khetta.m / kasitabba.m / kassakehi / tesaana.m / go.nehi
Tesaana.m go.nehi saddhi.m kassakehi khetta.m kasitabba.m.
3. Being beaten by an enemy and not knowing what should be done, the man ran across the field.
pahariiyamaano / arinaa / ki.m kaatabba.m ti ajaananto / puriso / dhaavi / tiriya.m / khettassa
Arinaa pahariiyamaano puriso ki.m kaatabba.m ti ajaananto khettassa tiriya.m dhaavi.
4. Many beggars came to receive the alms given by the rich merchant.
bahuu / yaacakaa / aagacchi.msu / labhitu.m / daanaani / dinnaani / dhanavantena / vaa.nijena
Bahuu yaacakaa dhanavantena vaa.nijena dinnaani daanaani labhitu.m aagacchi.msu.
5. Your parents are to be worshipped and protected by you.
tava / maataapitaro / vanditabbo / rakkhitabbo / tayaa
Tayaa tava maataapitaro vanditabbo ceva rakkhitabbo ca (hoti).
6. Being admonished by the teacher the student began to learn what should be learnt.
ovadiyamaano / garunaa / sisso / aarabhi / ugga.nhitu.m / ugga.nhitabba.m
Garunaa ovadiyamaano sisso ugga.nhitabba.m ugga.nhitu.m aarabhi.
7. The horses that are being carried by the merchants are to be sold tomorrow.
assaa / hariiyamaanaa / vaa.nijehi / vikki.nitabbaa / suve
Vaa.nijehi hariiyamaanaa assaa suve vikki.nitabbaa.
8. The horse being beaten by the slave ran quickly to the field.
asso / pahariiyamaano / daasena / adhaavi / siigha.m / ta.m / khetta.m
Daasena pahariiyamaano asso ta.m khetta.m siigha.m adhaavi.
9. Precepts should be observed and alms should be given by you.
siilaani / rakkhitabbaani / daanaani / daatabbaani / tumhehi
Tumhehi siilaani rakkhitabbaani, daanaani daatabbaani (honti).
10. Many clothes are to be washed by our friends.
bahuuni / vatthaani / dhovitabbaani / amhaaka.m / mittehi
Amhaaka.m mittehi bahuuni vatthaani dhovitabbaani.
11. Ten men cut many trees that should be cut in that garden.
dasa / purisaa / chindi.msu / bahuu / rukkhe / chinditabbe / tasmi.m / aaraame
Dasa purisaa tasmi.m aaraame chinditabbe bahuu rukkhe chindi.msu.
12. The trees that are being cut by them will fall on other trees.
rukkhaa / chindiyamaanaa / tehi / patissanti / upari / a~n~ne / rukkhe
Tehi chindiyamaanaa rukkhaa a~n~ne rukkhe upari patissanti.
13. The merchants did not get any food that should be eaten by them.
vaa.nijaa / na labhi.msu / odana.m / bhu~njitabba.m / tehi
Vaa.nijaa tehi bhu~njitabba.m odana.m na labhi.msu.
14. What should happen will happen to us and the others.
bhavitabbo / bhavissati / amhaaka.m / a~n~nesa.m / ca
Yo bhavitabbo hoti so amhaaka.m ca a~n~nesa.m ca bhavissati.
15. The rice is to be cooked and carried to the field by us.
bhatta.m / hoti / pacitabba.m / haritabba.m / khetta.m / amhehi
Bhatta.m amhehi pacitabba.m ca khetta.m haritabba.m ca hoti.