The New Pali Course Part I
Exercise 28-A: Translate into English.
1. Se.t.thii va.d.dhaki.m geha.m kaaraapeti.
millionaire / carpenter / house / causes to build
The millionaire makes the carpenter build the house.
2. Maataa daaraka.m pokkhara.niya.m nahaapessati.
mother / boy / [in] pond / causes to bathe
The mother will get the boy to bathe in the pond.
3. Amhaaka.m pitaro bhikkhuu bhojaapesu.m.
our / fathers / monks / caused to eat
Our fathers made the monks eat.
4. Vanitaayo daasi.m bhatta.m paacaapesu.m.
women / slave women / rice / caused to cook
The women made the slave women cook rice.
5. Paapakaarino daasehi bahuu mige maaraapenti.
sinners / [by] slaves / many / deer / cause to kill
The sinners get many deer killed by the slaves.
6. Gahapatayo purisehi daaruuni ga.nhaapenti.
householders / [by] people / fire woods / cause to take
The householders have the wood taken by the people.
7. Garu sisse dhamma.m ugga.nhaapesi.
teacher / students / doctrine / caused to learn
The teacher made the students learn the doctrine.
8. Adhipati purisehi rukkhe chindaapessati.
lord / people / trees / will cause to cut
The lord will get the trees cut by the people.
9. Aha.m ka~n~naahi bha.n.daani aaharaapessaami.
I / [by] girls / goods / will cause to bring
I will get the goods brought by the girls.
10. Tumhe bhaatarehi kapayo gaama.m haraapetha.
you / [by] brothers / monkeys / [to] village / cause to take
You get the brothers to take the monkeys to the village.
11. Maya.m dasahi go.nehi khetta.m kasaapessaama.
we / 10 / [by] oxen / field / will cause to plough
We will get the field ploughed by 10 oxen.
12. Maataa putta.m pi.the nisiidaapetvaa bhatta.m pacitu.m ta.n.dule aaharaapesi.
mother / son / [on] chair / having caused to sit / rice / to cook / uncooked rice / caused to bring
The mother made her son sit on the chair and she made him brought uncooked rice to cook it.
Exercise 28-B: Translate into Pali.
1. The sinner causes his brothers to kill birds.
paapakaari / maaraapeti / tassa / bhaatare / pakkhino
Paapakaari tassa bhaatare pakkhino maaraapeti.
2. The rich men make their sons give alms.
se.t.thino / daapenti / tesa.m / putte / daana.m
Se.t.thino tesa.m putte daana.m daapenti.
3. The king makes the carpenters build five houses.
bhuupaalo / kaaraapeti / va.d.dhukino / pa~nca / gehe
Bhuupaalo va.d.dhakino pa~nca gehe kaaraapeti.
4. The charioteer makes the slave bring two horses near the chariot.
saarathii / aaharaapeti / daasa.m / dve / asse / santika.m / ratha.m
Saarathii rathassa santike daasa.m dve asse aaharaapeti.
The PTS dict. says santika.m + gen. or santike
5. The women get their daughters cook rice for the guests.
vanitaayo / paacaapenti / taasa.m / dhiitaro / bhatta.m / atithiina.m
Vanitaayo taasa.m dhiitaro atithiina.m bhatta.m paacaapenti.
6. The carpenter gets the work done by the servants.
va.d.dhakii / kaaraapeti / kamma.m / daasehi
Va.d.dhakii daasehi kamma.m kaaraapeti.
7. The leader gets his men cut many trees in his garden.
adhipati / chindaapeti / tassa / purise / bahuu / rukkhe / tassa / aaraame
Adhipati tassa purise tassa aaraame bahuu rukkhe chindaapeti.
8. They will get the field ploughed by 20 oxen.
te / kasaapessanti / khetta.m / viisatiihi / go.nehi
Te viisatiihi go.nehi khetta.m kasaapessanti.
9. I will make my son eat some food.
aha.m / bhojaapessaami / mayha.m / putta.m / eke / bhojana.m
Aha.m mayha.m putta.m eke bhojana.m bhojaapessaami.
10. We will cause our slaves to go to the town.
maya.m / gacchaapessaama / amhaaka.m / daase / nagara.m
Maya.m amhaaka.m daase nagara.m gacchaapessaama.
11. They make the cows eat grass.
te / khaadaapenti / go.ne / ti.na.m
Te go.ne ti.na.m khaadaapenti.
12. Do not allow him to do that work.
tva.m / maa / ta.m / kaaraapesi / ta.m / kamma.m
Tva.m ta.m ta.m kamma.m maa kaaraapesi.