Oops! RSS input from Yahoo! Groups is currently not available.
1. Bhuupaalo raajiniyaa saddhi.m naavaaya nadi.m taranto udake carante macche
olokento amaccehi saddhi.m katheti.
king / with queen / by boat / river / crossing / in water / moving / fish / looking (at) / with ministers / speaks
Crossing the river by boat with (his) queen, the king looking at the fish swimming in the water speaks with (his) ministers.
2. Paaniya.m pivitvaa daarikaaya bhuumiya.m nikkhitto patto bhinno hoti.
water / having drunk / by girl / on ground / placed / bowl / broken / is
The bowl placed on the ground by the girl after drinking water is broken.
3. Kassakaana.m gaaviyo a.taviya.m aahi.n.ditvaa khetta.m aagami.msu.
farmers' / cows / in forest / having roamed / [to] field / came
The farmers' cows roamed in the forest and came to the field.
4. Rattiyaa samuddasmi.m patitaa candassa rasmiyo oloketvaa taru.niyo
at night / on sea / fallen / moon's / rays / having seen / young women / were happy
The young women, having seen the moonlight falling on the sea at night, were happy.
5. Upaasakaa iddhiyaa aakaase gacchanta.m taapasa.m disvaa pasannaa honti.
lay devotees / by psychic power / through sky / going / ascetic / having seen / pleased (with) / are
The lay devotees are pleased seeing the ascetic going through the sky by psychic power.
6. Bhaginiyaa saddhi.m pokkhara.niyaa tiire (bank) .thatvaa so padumaani
with sister / pond's / on bank / having stood / he / lotuses / to pick / tried
Having stood on the bank of the pond with (his) sister, he tried to pick lotuses.
7. Naariyo vaapiisu nahaayitu.m vaa (or) vatthaani dhovitu.m vaa na icchi.msu.
women / at tanks / to bathe or / clothes / to wash or / did not wish
The women did not wish to bathe or wash clothes at the tanks.
8. Yuvatiyaa pu.t.tha.m pa~nha.m vyaakaatu.m asakkonto aha.m taaya (with her)
saddhi.m sallapitu.m aarabhi.m.
by maiden / asked / question / to explain / unable / I / with her / to engage in conversation / began
Unable to explain the question asked by the maiden, I began to talk with her.
9. Asappurisassa puttena kata.m paapakamma.m pa.ticchaadetu.m ammaa na ussahi.
wicked man's / by son / done / evil deed / to conceal / mother / did not try
Mother did not try to conceal the evil deed done by the wicked man's son.
[ The following is provided in the Key to Pali Primer. ]
Mother did not try to conceal the evil deed done by (her) wicked son.
10. Bhaginiyaa dussena ve.thetvaa ma~ncasmi.m .thapita.m bha.n.da.m itthii ma~njuusaaya.m
by sister / in cloth / having wrapped / on bed / kept / goods / woman / in box / placed
The woman placed in the box the goods wrapped in cloth and kept on the bed by (her) sister.
11. Maa tumhe magge sayanta.m kukkura.m vihe.thetha.
do not / you / on road / sleeping / dog / harass
(You) Do not harass the dog sleeping on the road.
12. Sappuriso amacco dhana.m vissajjetvaa yaacakaana.m vasitu.m saalaayo
gaamesu karitvaa bhuupaala.m aarocesi.
virtuous man / minister / money / having spent / for beggars / to live / halls / in villages / having built / king / informed
The virtuous minister spent money and built halls in the villages for beggars to live, and informed the king.
13. Kumaaro suva.m hatthamhaa mu~ncitvaa ta.m u.d.denta.m passamaano rodanto
boy / parrot / from hand / having released / it / flying / seeing / crying / under tree / stood
Having released the parrot from (his) hand, the boy seeing it flying stood under the tree crying.
14. Saddhaaya daana.m dadamaanaa kusala.m karontaa sappurisaa puna (again)
manussaloke uppajjitu.m patthenti.
with faith / alms / giving / meritorious deeds / doing / good men / again / human world / to be born / aspire
Giving alms with faith and doing meritorious deeds, the good men aspire to be born in the human world again.
15. Kumaaro ma~njuusa.m vivaritvaa saa.taka.m niiharitvaa ammaaya pesesi.
boy / box / having opened / garment / having taken out / to mother / sent
The boy opened the box, took out the garment and sent (it) to (his) mother.
1. There are lotuses and fishes in ponds in the king's park.
santi / padumaani ca / macchaa ca / pokkhara.niisu / bhuupaalassa / uyyaane
Bhuupaalassa uyyaane pokkhara.niisu padumaani ca macchaa ca santi.
2. The young women picked lotuses from the tank and kept them on the ground.
taru.niyo / ocinitvaa / padumaani / vaapiyaa / .thapesu.m / bhuumiya.m
Taru.niyo vaapiyaa padumaani ocinitvaa bhuumiya.m .thapesu.m.
3. The queen spoke with her sisters who came having crossed the river by
raajinii / kathesi / bhaginiihi saha / aagataahi / taritvaa / nadi.m / do.niyaa
Do.niyaa nadi.m taritvaa aagataahi bhaginiihi saha raajinii kathesi.
4. I saw the dog chasing the cow in the field.
aha.m / passi.m / kukkura.m / anubandhanta.m / gaavi.m / khettasmi.m
Aha.m khettasmi.m gaavi.m anubandhanta.m kukkura.m passi.m
5. Women and girls did not climb trees to pick fruits and flowers.
naariyo ca / kumaariyo ca / na aaruhi.msu / rukkhe / ocinitu.m / phalaani ca / pupphaani ca
Naariyo ca kumaariyo ca phalaani ca pupphaani ca ocinitu.m rukkhe na aaruhi.msu.
6. You (pl.) went to the river to bathe and got frightened hearing the peal
of thunder (asanisadda.m).
tumhe / gantvaa / nadi.m / nahaayitu.m / bhaayittha / sutvaa / asanisadda.m
Nahaayitu.m nadi.m gantvaa tumhe asanisadda.m sutvaa bhaayittha.
7. You (pl.) do not conceal the evil committed with your friends.
tumhe / maa / pa.ticcaadetha / paapa.m / kata.m / mittehi saha
Maa tumhe mittehi saha kata.m paapa.m pa.ticcaadetha.
8. If you spent money to buy clothes, inform your mother.
sace / tva.m / vissajjeyyaasi / muula.m / ki.nitu.m / vatthaani / aarocehi / amma.m
Sace tva.m vatthaani ki.nitu.m muula.m vissajjeyyaasi, amma.m aarocehi.
9. Send the lotuses wrapped in lotus leaves to the young girls seated in the
pesehi / padumaani / ve.thitaani / paduma-pa.n.nehi / taru.niina.m / nisinnaana.m / saalaaya.m
Saalaaya.m nisinnaana.m taru.niina.m paduma-pa.n.nehi ve.thitaani padumaani pesehi.
10. We can explain the questions asked by the women in the assembly.
maya.m / sakkoma / vyaakaatu.m / pa~nhe / pu.t.the / vanitaahi / sabhaaya.m
Sabhaaya.m vanitaahi pu.t.the pa~nhe maya.m vyaakaatu.m sakkoma.