Oops! RSS input from Yahoo! Groups is currently not available.
1. Munayo siila.m rakkhantaa girimhi guhaasu vasi.msu.
sages / precepts / observing / on mountain / in caves
The sages observing precepts lived in the caves on the mountain.
2. Aacariyena saddhi.m viharanto kavi isi hoti.
with teacher / living / poet / sage / becomes
Residing with the teacher, the poet becomes a sage.
3. Bhuupati asinaa ari.m paharitvaa maaresi.
king / with sword / enemy / having hit / killed
The king hit and killed the enemy with a sword.
4. Pati bhariyaaya pa.tiyaadita.m odana.m bhu~njitvaa khetta.m agami.
husband / by wife / prepared / rice / having eaten / [to] field / went
The husband ate the rice prepared by (his) wife and went to the field.
5. Sappurisaa gahapatayo bhariyaahi ca puttehi ca gehesu vasantaa sukha.m
righteous / householders / with wives and / with sons and / in homes / living / happiness / experience
Righteous householders living in (their) homes with (their) wives and sons enjoy happiness.
6. Nidhi.m pariyesanto adhipati sahaayakehi saddhi.m diipa.m agacchi.
hidden treasure / searching / lord / with friends / [to] island / went
Searching for the (hidden) treasure, the lord went to the island with friends.
7. Atithiina.m odana.m pacantii itthii aggi.m jaalesi.
for guests / meal / cooking / woman / fire / kindled
The woman cooking a meal for the guests kindled the fire.
8. Vyaadhinaa pii.lito naro ma~nce sayati.
by illness / afflicted / man / on bed / sleeps
The man afflicted by an illness sleeps on the bed.
9. Gahapati viihiina.m raasi.m minanto bhariyaaya saddhi.m kathesi.
householder / of paddy / heap / measuring / with wife / spoke
The householder measuring the heap of paddy spoke with (his) wife.
10. Daarikaa girimhaa udenta.m ravi.m olokentii hasanti.
girls / from mountain / rising / sun / seeing / laugh
The girls looking at the sun rising from the mountain laugh.
11. Bhuupatino mu.t.thimhi ma.nayo bhavanti.
king's / in fist / gems / there are
There are gems in the king's fist.
12. Ari kavino so.na.m ya.t.thiyaa paharitvaa dhaavi.
enemy / poet's / dog / with walking stick / having hit / ran
The enemy hit the poet's dog with (his) walking stick and ran.
13. Kavi patinaa dinna.m ma.ni.m paa.ninaa ga.nhi.
poet / by master / given / gem / in hand / took
The poet took in his hand the gem given by the master.
14. Naariyo patiihi saddhi.m udadhi.m gantvaa nahaayitu.m aarabhi.msu.
women / with husbands / [to] sea / having gone / to bathe / began
Having gone to the sea with (their) husbands, the women began to bathe.
15. Adhipati atithi.m khaadaniiyehi ca bhojaniiyehi ca bhojaapesi.
lord / guest / hard food and / soft food and / got...to eat
Lit: The lord got (his) guest to eat hard food and soft food.
The lord entertained (his) guest with hard and soft food.
16. Bhuupatinaa kattabbaani kammaani adhipatayo na karissanti.
by king / to be done / work / leaders / will not do
The leaders will not do the work that should be done by the king.
17. Muniihi pariyesitabba.m dhamma.m aha.m pi ugga.nhitu.m icchaami.
by sages / sought / doctrine / I / too / to learn / wish
I wish to learn the doctrine sought by the sages too.
18. Aha.m diipa.m jaaletvaa udakena aasittaani padumaani Buddhassa puujemi.
I / lamp / having kindled / with water / sprinkled / lotuses / to Buddha / offer
I light the lamp and offer to the Buddha lotuses sprinkled with water.
19. Tva.m girimhi vasante diipayo oloketu.m luddakena saha giri.m aaruhasi.
you / in mountain / living / leopards / to look at / with hunter / mountain / climb
You climb the mountain with the hunter to look at the leopards living in the mountain.
20. Devii parisaaya saha sabhaaya.m nisinnaa hoti.
queen / with retinue / in assembly / seated / is
The queen is seated in the assembly with (her) retinue.
21. Gahapatayo pa~nhe pucchitu.m aaka`nkhamaanaa isi.m upasa`nkami.msu.
householders / questions / to ask / hoping / sage / approached
The householders, hoping to ask questions, approached the sage.
22. Gahapatiihi pu.t.tho isi pa~nhe vyaakari.
by householders / questioned / sage / questions / answered
Questioned by the householders, the sage answered the questions.
23. Naariyaa dhotaani vatthaani ga.nhante kapayo disvaa kumaaraa paasaa.nehi te (them) pahari.msu.
by woman / washed / clothes / taking / monkeys / having seen / boys / with stones / them / hit
Having seen the monkeys taking the clothes washed by the woman, the boys hit them with stones.
24. Uyyaane aahi.n.ditvaa ti.na.m khaadantiyo gaaviyo ca go.naa ca ajaa ca
a.tavi.m pavisitvaa diipi.m disvaa bhaayi.msu.
in park / having roamed / grass / eating / cows and / oxen and / goats and / forest / having entered / leopard / having seen / were frightened
Having entered the forest, the cows, oxen and goats roaming in the park and eating grass saw the leopard and were frightened.
25. Gahapatiihi munayo ca atithayo ca bhojetabbaa honti.
by householders / sages and / guests and / to be entertained / are
The sages and guests should be entertained by the householders.
26. Ammaa ma~njuusaaya pakkhipitvaa rakkhite ma.nayo daarikaaya ca vadhuyaa
mother / in box / having kept / protected / gems / to girl and / to daughter-in-law and / gave
The mother gave the gems kept protected in a box to the little girl and (her) daughter-in-law.
27. Yadi tumhe bhuupati.m upasa`nkameyyaatha maya.m ratha.m pa.tiyaadessaama.
if / you / king / would approach / we / chariot / shall prepare
If you would approach the king, we shall prepare the chariot.
28. Gahapati cora.m giivaaya gahetvaa paadena kucchi.m pahari.
householder / robber / by neck / having taken / with foot / belly / hit
The householder seized the robber by the neck and kicked (his) belly.
29. Saku.nehi kataani kulaavakaani (nests) maa tumhe bhindatha.
by birds / built / nests / do not / you / break!
You do not break the nests built by the birds.
30. Giita.m gaayantii yuvati gaavi.m upasa`nkamma khiira.m duhitu.m (to milk) aarabhi.
song / singing / maiden / cow / having approached / milk / to milk / began
The young woman singing a song approached the cow and began to milk (it).
31. Buddhassa dhaatuyo vanditu.m maya.m vihaara.m gamimha.
Buddha's / relics / to worship / we / [to] monastery / went
We went to the monastery to worship the relics of the Buddha.
32. Maya.m ka~n~naayo dhammasaala.m sammajjitvaa kila~njaasu (on mats) nisiiditvaa dhamma.m
we / maidens / dhamma hall / having swept / on mats / having sat / dhamma / listened to
We young girls swept the dhamma hall, sat on the mats and listened to the dhamma.
33. Maya.m locanehi ruupaani passaama, sotehi (with ears) sadda.m (sound)
su.naama, jivhaaya rasa.m saadiyaama (we taste).
we / with eyes / things / see / with ears / sound / hear / with tongue / flavours / taste
We see objects with eyes, hear sound with ears, and taste flavours with the tongue.
34. Te a.taviyaa aahi.n.dantiyo gaaviyo rajjuuhi bandhitvaa khetta.m
they / in forest / roaming / cows / with ropes / having tied / [to] field / brought
They tied the cows roaming in the forest with ropes, and brought (them) to the field.
35. Bhariyaa vyaadhinaa pii.litassa patino hattha.m aamasantii ta.m (him) samassaasesi (comforted).
wife / by disease / oppressed / husband's / hand / stroking / him / comforted
Stroking the hand of (her) husband who was oppressed by a disease, the wife comforted him.
36. Gahapati atithinaa saddhi.m sallapanto saalaaya nisinno hoti.
householder / with guest / engaging in conversion / in hall / seated / is
The householder is seated in the hall discussing with the guest.
37. Muni sacca.m adhigantvaa manussaana.m dhamma.m desetu.m pabbatamhaa oruyha gaame vihaare vasati.
sage / truth / having understood / to people / doctrine / to preach / from mountain / having descended / in village / in monastery / lives
Having understood the truth, the sage comes down from the mountain and lives in the monastery in the village to preach the doctrine to the people.
38. Rajjuyaa bandhitvaa gaavii tattha tattha (here and there) aahi.n.ditu.m asakkontii rukkhamuule ti.na.m khaadati.
by rope / tied / cow / here and there / to move / is unable / at foot of tree / grass / eats
Unable to move here and there, the cow tethered by a rope eats grass at the foot of a tree.
39. Devii bhuupatinaa saddhi.m rathena gacchantii anataraamagge (on the way) kasante kassake passi.
queen / with king / by chariot / going / on the way / ploughing / farmers / saw
The queen going in a chariot with the king saw the farmers ploughing on the way.
40. Maa tumhe akusala.m karotha, sace kareyyaatha sukha.m vinditu.m na
do not / you / evil / commit / if / (you) would do / happiness / to enjoy / not / will get
(You) Do not commit evil, if you do, you will not get to enjoy happiness.
1. The husbands brought gems from the island for their wives.
patayo / aahari.msu / ma.nayo / diipasmaa / bhariyaana.m
Patayo bhariyaana.m diipasmaa ma.nayo aahari.msu.
2. Sicknesses oppress people living in the world.
vyaadhayo / pii.lenti / manusse / vasante / loke
Vyaadhayo loke vasante manusse pii.lenti.
3. Sitting on the ground the woman measured paddy with a naa.li.
nisiiditvaa / bhuumiya.m / naarii / mini / viihi.m / naa.liyaa
Bhuumiya.m nisiiditvaa naarii naa.liyaa viihi.m mini.
4. Householders who do evil do not worship sages.
gahapatayo / karontaa / paapa.m / na / vandanti / munayo
Gahapatayo paapa.m karontaa munayo na vandanti.
5. If you dig up the treasure you will get gems.
sace / tva.m / kha.neyyaasi / nidhi.m / (tva.m) / labhissasi / ma.nayo
Sace tva.m nidhi.m kha.neyyaasi ma.nayo labhissasi.
6. I washed the clothes which were to be washed by the wife.
aha.m / dhovi.m / vatthaani / dhovitabbaani / bhariyaaya
Aha.m bhariyaaya dhovitabbaani vatthaani dhovi.m.
7. We drank the gruel which was prepared by our mother.
maya.m / pivi.mha / yaagu.m / pa.tiyaadita.m / ammaaya
Maya.m ammaaya pa.tiyaadita.m yaagu.m pivi.mha.
8. You kindle the fire to cook rice and gruel for the guests coming from the
tva.m / jaalesi / aggi.m / pacitu.m / odana.m ca / yaagu.m ca / atithiina.m / aagacchantaana.m / nagaramhaa
Tva.m nagaramhaa aagacchantaana.m atithiina.m odana.m ca yaagu.m ca pacitu.m aggi.m jaalesi.
9. The householder hit with a sword the thief who entered the house.
gahapati / pahari / asinaa / cora.m / pavi.t.tha.m / geha.m
Gahapati asinaa geha.m pavi.t.tha.m cora.m pahari.
10. The young girl gave grass to the cows standing in the shade of the tree.
taru.nii / dadi/adaasi / ti.na.m / gaaviina.m / .thitaana.m / chaayaaya.m / rukkhassa
Taru.nii rukkhassa chaayaaya.m .thitaana.m gaaviina.m ti.na.m dadi/adaasi.
11. Monkeys dwell on trees, lions sleep in caves, serpents move on the
vaanaraa / viharanti / rukkhesu / siihaa / sayanti / guhaasu / sappaa / caranti / bhuumiya.m
Vaanaraa rukkhesu viharanti, siihaa guhaasu sayanti, sappaa bhuumiya.m caranti.
12. If you buy and bring goods from the city, I will sell them (taani) to
sace / tva.m / ki.nitvaa / bha.n.daani / nagarasmaa / aahareyyaasi / aha.m / vikki.nissaami / taani / kassakaana.m
Sace tva.m nagarasmaa bha.n.daani ki.nitvaa aahareyyaasi, aha.m kassakaana.m taani vikki.nissaami.
13. O wicked man, if you do merit you will experience happiness.
asappurisa / sace / tva.m / kareyyaasi / kusala.m / tva.m / vindeyyaasi / sukha.m
Asappurisa! sace tva.m kusala.m kareyyaasi tva.m sukha.m vindeyyaasi.
14. There are gems and gold in the boxes in my mother's house.
santi / ma.nayo ca / suva.n.no ca / ma~njuusaasu / ammaaya / gehamhi
Ma.nayo ca suva.n.no ca ammaaya gehamhi ma~njuusaasu santi.
15. The sage preached the doctrine to the king's retinue seated on the
muni / desesi / dhamma.m / bhuupatissa / parisaaya / nisinnaaya / bhuumiya.m
Muni bhuumiya.m nisinnaaya bhuupatissa parisaaya dhamma.m desesi.
16. Recluses, sages and poets are honoured by virtuous men.
sama.naa ca / munayo ca / kavayo ca / honti / puujitaa / sappurehi
Sama.naa ca munayo ca kavayo ca sappurehi puujitaa honti.
17. We will get the treasure which is protected by the leader.
maya.m / labhissaama / nidhi.m / rakkhita.m / adhipatinaa
Maya.m adhipatinaa rakkhita.m nidhi.m labhissaama.
18. Do not cut branches of the trees planted in the park.
(tumhe) / maa / chindatha / saakhaayo / rukkhaana.m / ropitaana.m / uyyaanasmi.m
Maa tumhe uyyaanasmi.m ropitaana.m rukkhaana.m saakhaayo chindatha.
19. Being released from the cage the birds flew into the sky.
muttaa / pa~njaramhaa / saku.naa / uppati.msu / aakaasa.m
Pa~njaramhaa muttaa saku.naa aakaasa.m uppati.msu.
20. We did not see sages crossing the river through psychic power.
maya.m / na passimha / munayo / tarante / nadi.m / iddhiyaa
Maya.m iddhiyaa nadi.m tarante munayo na passimha.