Oops! RSS input from Yahoo! Groups is currently not available.
1. Yassaa so putto hoti saa maataa pu~n~navatii hoti.
her / he / son / is / she / fortunate mother / is
Lit: He is her son, she is a fortunate mother.
She, whose son he is, is a fortunate mother.
2. Yo ta.m diipa.m paaleti so dhammiko bhuupati hoti.
he who / that / island / rules / he / righteous king / is
He who rules that island is a righteous king.
3. Kena ajja (today) nava.m (new) jiivitamagga.m na pariyesitabba.m?
who / today / new / way of life / should not search
Who should not search for a new way of life today?
4. Sace tumhe asappurisaa loka.m duuseyyaatha (pollute) kattha puttadhiitarehi saddhi.m tumhe vasatha?
if / you / wicked men / world / would pollute / where / with sons and daughters / you / live
If you wicked men pollute the world, where would you live with your sons and daughters?
5. Yadaa bhikkhavo sannipatitvaa saalaaya.m kila~njaasu nisiidi.msu tadaa Buddho paavisi.
when / monks / having assembled / in hall / on mats / sat / then / Buddha / entered
When the monks assembled and sat on the mats in the hall, then the Buddha entered.
6. Yasmi.m padese Buddho viharati tattha gantu.m aha.m icchaami.
(in) which / in locality / Buddha / dwells / there / to go / I / wish
In which locality the Buddha dwells, there I wish to go.
7. Yaaya.m guhaaya.m siihaa vasanti ta.m pasavo na upasa`nkamanti.
(in) which / in cave / lions / live / there / beasts / do not approach
In which cave the lions live, there beasts do not approach.
8. Yo dhanavaa hoti, tena siilavataa bhavitabba.m.
he who / rich / is / he / virtuous / should be
He who is rich should be virtuous.
9. Sace tumhe ma.m pa~nha.m pucchissatha aha.m vissajjetu.m (to explain) ussahissaami.
if / you / me / question / would ask / I / to explain / will try
If you ask me the question, I will try to explain.
10. Yatha siilavantaa bhikkhavo vasanti tattha manussaa sappurisaa honti.
where / virtuous monks / live / there / people / good men / are
Where virtuous monks live, the people there are good.
11. Kadaa tva.m maatara.m passitu.m bhariyaaya saddhi.m gacchasi?
when / you / mother / to see / with wife / go
When will you go to see mother with (your) wife?
12. Yaahi rukkhaa chinnaa taayo pucchitu.m kassako aagato hoti.
(by) whom / trees / cut / them / to question / farmer / come / has
The farmer has come to question those women by whom the trees were cut.
13. Katha.m tumhe udadhi.m taritu.m aaka`nkhatha?
how / you / sea / to cross / wish
How do you wish to cross the sea?
14. Kuto taa itthiyo ma.nayo aahari.msu?
from where / they / women / gems / brought
From where did the women bring the gems?
15. Yaasu ma~njuusaasu aha.m suva.n.na.m nikkhipi.m taa coraa coresu.m.
(in) which / boxes / I / gold / put / they / robbers / stole
They, the robbers, stole those boxes in which I put the gold.
16. Yo ajja nagara.m gacchati so taruusu ketavo passissati.
he who / today / [to] city / goes / he / on trees / flags / will see
He who goes to the city today will see flags on the trees.
17. Yassa mayaa yaagu puujitaa so bhikkhu tava putto hoti.
to him (whom) / by me / gruel / offered / he / monk / your / son / is
The monk to whom I offered gruel is your son.
18. Kuto aha.m dhammassa vi~n~naataara.m pa~n~navanta.m bhikkhu.m labhissaami?
from where / I / knowledgeable of the Dhamma / wise monk / will get
From where will I get a wise monk who understands the Dhamma?
19. Yasmaa so bhikkhuusu pabbaji, tasmaa saa pi pabbajitu.m icchati.
because / he / among monks / got ordained / therefore / she / too / to get ordained / wished
Because he got ordained among the monks, therefore she wishes to get ordained too.
20. Ya.m aha.m jaanaami tumhe pi ta.m jaanaatha.
he who / I / know / you / too / him / know
Lit: He who I know, you know him too.
You also know him whom I know.
21. Yaasa.m itthiina.m dhana.m so icchati taahi ta.m labhitu.m so na sakkoti.
of (whom) / women / wealth / he / wishes / from (them) / it / to get / he / is unable
He is unable to get from those women their wealth which he desires.
22. Yato amhaaka.m bhuupati arayo paraajesi tasmaa maya.m taruusu ketavo
because / our / king / enemies / defeated / therefore / we / on trees / banners / tied
Because our king defeated the enemies, we tied banners on trees.
23. Kadaa amhaaka.m patthanaa (aspirations) samijjhanti?
when / our / aspirations / will fulfill
When will our aspirations come to fruition?
24. Sabbe te sappurisaa tesa.m pa~nhe vissajjetu.m vaayamantaa saalaaya nisinnaa honti.
all / they / good men / for them / questions / to solve / trying / in hall / seated / are
All those good men are seated in the hall trying to solve their questions for them.
25. Sace tva.m dvaara.m thakesi aha.m pavisitu.m na sakkomi.
if / you / door / shut / I / to enter / am not able
If you shut the door, I cannot enter.
26. Amhehi kataani kammaani chaayaayo viya amhe anubandhanti.
by us / done / actions / shadows / like / us / follow
Actions done by us follow us like shadows.
27. Susavo maatara.m rakkhanti.
young ones / mother / protect
The young ones protect (their) mother.
28. Aha.m saaminaa saddhi.m gehe viharantii modaami.
I / with husband / in house / living / am happy
I am happy living in the house with (my) husband.
29. Tumhaaka.m puttaa ca dhiitaro ca udadhi.m taritvaa bha.n.daani
vikki.nantaa muula.m pariyesitu.m icchanti.
your / sons and / daughters and / sea / having crossed / goods / selling / money / to search / hope
Your sons and daughters cross the sea and hope to search money (gain) selling goods.
30. Tva.m sura.m pivasi, tasmaa saa tava kujjhati.
you / liquor / drink / therefore / she / with you / gets angry
You drink liquor, therefore she gets angry with you.
1. He who is virtuous will defeat the enemy.
(so) yo / hoti / siilavaa / paraajessati / ari.m
Yo siilavaa hoti so ari.m paraajessati.
2. The girl who spoke at the meeting is not a relation of mine.
daarikaa (yaa) / kathesi / sabhaaya.m / na hoti / bandhu / mayha.m
Yaa daarikaa sabhaaya.m kathesi saa na mayha.m bandhu hoti.
3. When the mother comes home the daughter will give the gems.
yadaa / maataa / aagamissati* / geha.m / dhiitaa / dassati/dadissati / ma.nayo
Yadaa maataa geha.m aagamissati (tadaa) dhiitaa ma.nayo dassati/dadissati.
4. The dog to whom I gave rice is my brother's.
kukkuraaya / yassa / aha.m / adadi.m / odana.m / (so) / hoti / mayha.m / bhaatussa
Yassa kukkuraaya aha.m odana.m adadi.m so mayha.m bhaatussa hoti.
5. Why did you not come home today to worship the monks?
kasmaa / tva.m / na aagami / geha.m / ajja / vanditu.m / bhikkhavo
Kasmaa tva.m bhikkhavo vanditu.m ajja geha.m na aagami?
6. From where did you get the robes which you offered to the monks?
kutra / tva.m / labhi / ciivaraani / yaani / tva.m / puujayi / bhikkhuuna.m
Yaani ciivaraani kutra tva.m labhi tva.m bhikkhuuna.m puujayi?
7. (To) whom did you give the gold which I gave you?
kassa / tva.m / adaasi / suva.n.na.m / mayaa / dinna.m / tava
Mayaa tava suva.n.na.m kassa tva.m adaasi dinna.m?
8. Eat what you like.
Lit: Whatever you like, eat it.
ya.m / tva.m / icchasi / bhu~nja / ta.m
Ya.m tva.m icchasi, ta.m bhu~nja.
9. I will sit on the rock until you bathe in the river.
aha.m / nisiidissaami / paasaa.ne / yaava / tva.m / nahaayissasi** / nadiya.m
Yaava tva.m nadiya.m nahaayissasi taava aha.m paasaa.ne nisiidissaami.
10. Where intelligent people live there I wish to dwell.
yattha / vi~n~naataaro / viharanti / tattha / aha.m / icchaami / viharitu.m
Yattha vi~n~naataaro viharanti tattha aha.m viharitu.m icchaami.
* Use future tense.
** Use future tense.